1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suns out air con issuse :(

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by bradh, Apr 18, 2014.

1. bradh

bradh Active Member

hi guys right sun was out today so i thought lets bang the air con on guess what no freezing cold air was last re-gassed at the end of last summer , it was never freezing cold so i was pretty suspect as it wernt working right so now im feeling i need to fix it this summer

so my questions are why would it not work?? things popping into my head are leaking some ware pressure sensor (ware is this located) worse case the actual pump knackard

iv run vcds lite and got no errors/ faults showing

any help pointers most welcome

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I take it your ECON light isn't on?

Not sure how good VDCS Lite is for this sort of thing, a pressure sensor failure should show up though.

Fluid leaked out? ECON light would be on if it had.

4. bradh

bradh Active Member

The econ light does light up when pressed

5. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

And goes out when the air con is on?

6. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing
    Supporter

So,
    Ok your econ light works! That's a good sign!
    Next step, when car is idling, and you turn a/c on, can you audibly hear and feel any difference?
    When the a/c kicks in when button is pressed, you should hear the a/c compressor kick in and a slight change in engine noise?
    If this is not the case, then possibly your air on clutch is at fault?

7. bradh

bradh Active Member

quick video is this right ??? sounds silly to ask but thought it might help with diagnostics :

i can hear the fan motor in the car speed up when the button is pressed not checked in the engine bay as i cant press button and see if anything moves at the same time will try that in the morning when wife's back from work,

[​IMG]

8. AudiLeon

AudiLeon Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

Does it have a clutch, a lot of Audis have N280 valves. Our A6 had a knackered cable so it wasn't opening the valve when requested.

9. bradh

bradh Active Member

just thought id up-date this as iv ben having issuse with alarm sender i scanned a few other sections too and found this :

[​IMG]

now iv looked on the wiki on rosstech and cant find anythibg to do with this code can any one shed any light ??

10. s3tby

s3tby Member

bradh: what module did you scan to get that error?

Not to hi-jack your thread but my symptoms are similar to yours. No freezing cold air and LO setting puts out the exact same temp with econ off or on.

-econ light remains switchable and goes on and off no problem
    -when turning AC back on (econ light off) experience a slight dip in engine revs and interior fan speed picks up
    -AC pressure lines next to the bulk head (driver side) under the bonnet are freezing cold and I can hear them bubbling / hissing internally for a few seconds after turning the engine off
    -no codes that I can find in VCDS
    -have completed VCDS HVAC tests and all the interior motors and fans seem to be fine (can hear them whizzing about)
    -was regassed last year

Need that sweet AC to keep the interior nice and fresh :cold:

#9 s3tby, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  11. bradh

bradh Active Member

To be honest iv no idea I was just scanning everything my vcds lite would let me trying to get to the bottom of another issue and this popped up

12. s3tby

s3tby Member

Going into measuring blocks I can see the compressor responding. Scrolling through the groups it's all green. The only thing to note is that the compressor torque (with the econ light off) is zero? bradh: posting here as I hope we can both get a resolution.

econ light off (compressor on)
    econ light off.jpg

econ light on (compressor off)
    econ light on.jpg

13. bradh

bradh Active Member

Buddy show me what your doing to get that up ill do same on mine and put screen shots up to compare

14. s3tby

s3tby Member

Fire up your VCDS, go into the HVAC module then go into measuring blocks (bottom left).
    Then click the UP arrow on each group. As you switch the econ light on / off you'll see the values change in some of the groups.

There are about 17 reportable groups in the HVAC module you can scroll through with readable values.

15. bradh

bradh Active Member

Ok I measure the 3 you have up ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401039972.372680.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401039984.737901.jpg

But before I started I checked for fault codes and got 2 new ones
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401040012.992804.jpg

16. s3tby

s3tby Member

I'm not getting any error codes at all. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing...!

When scrolling through your groups did you notice if your compressor torque was reported as zero? (with the econ light off)

17. bradh

bradh Active Member

To be honest buddy iv no idea what I'm doing hear lol witch ones do you want me to look at I'll take pics again

18. s3tby

s3tby Member

Your codes are suggesting to me that you might have a problem with the air flaps & motors under the dash (most are behind the glovebox). If you run the tests in the HVAC module it might tell you something.

19. s3tby

s3tby Member

Just keep pressing the up arrow in your groups (doesn't matter which group. I just used the top group). Soon enough you'll see COMPRESSOR TORQUE with maybe zero in green in it. All it is is the system telling you what it's running at and with in real time. Pretty handy. You'd have seen all the different temps and stuff as you went through your groups.

I'd run the tests in the HVAC module though. Takes a few mins and you'll hear all the motors under the dash whirring away as they prove themselves to the system.

20. bradh

bradh Active Member

Compressor torque is zero with econ on and off ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401044164.188194.jpg

21. bradh

bradh Active Member

What do u mean run the test in hvac module ?

22. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. s3tby

s3tby Member

Go into the 08 -Auto HVAC module then go into output tests 03. Run each one and check everything is working.

24. bradh

bradh Active Member

Arrrrrtrrt iv only got the vcds lite so I can't check this bit :(

25. M9RC

M9RC Member

I have just had a problem with my air con fixed. It was the loom to the air con pump which had corroded and broke. Sometimes you can get led astray with a fault using software rather than checking the wiring, connections, etc.

CHEZ likes this.