1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sump sealant or gasket?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by harvey01, Aug 27, 2012.

1. harvey01

harvey01 Member

as above i can get the gasket from euro car parts but ive not got a tps near me or will audi do it off the shelf ?
  2. S4 Muzza

S4 Muzza oww! my giant blue head!

OEM sealant is the way to go, part number is D176404A2. Found this on ebay, very good price. If i remember correctly i paid around 20 quid for a tube last year.
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

The 20v turbo doesn't use a sump gasket...

Use the OEM sealent... anything lese simply leaks..

<tuffty/>
  4. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

You can get a gasket though Tuffty. There's a part number floating about. That said, I'm doing my sump pretty shortly (and pickup) and I've got OEM sealant to use.
  5. harvey01

harvey01 Member

got some today £20.97 raping sl~~s:wtf:
  6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Yes, I am aware there is a gasket but never seen one fitted to a production car... not sure which 20v's they were made for or if its a third party part but no 20v I have ever worked on has had one or needed one... its an extra rubber bit that is likely to fail through heat/oil (and lets face it there is enough rubber bits on our engines already doing that without adding more) and an extra face for a potential oil leak...

The only time I have seen one fitted was to a Mk2 Golf with an AGU 20v conversion... never replaced it though when we rebuilt the engine...

VAG sump sealant is the most reliable method of sealing sumps I have used to date... not even Bills Ibiza sump leaks using this stuff and thats spanked around a track...

<tuffty/>
  7. harvey01

harvey01 Member

i used it tonight made shore i put plenty on so i dont have to do it again .Going to leave it overnight then fill it up and run it for a bit and fingers crossed