1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darren_wheeler

darren_wheeler Member

Hey guys, a bit of help please. I drove over a railay crossing in france tonight a little spritely and came down real hard on the sump. I got to where im staying luckily just a mile away and noticed A pool of oil.. Having had a peer in low light tonight the oil is coming from the sump plug.

I will get it on a ramp in the morning with a winch and get a better idea.

The problem is I have just driven to a very rural part of France. Is a sump and a plug an easy ish thing to do for a general mechanic if I can get the parts, or is it main dealer all the way. I will be doing the 50 mile journey in another car to the dealer tomorrow and want to know how
    Challenging the job might be if I have cracked the sump to get it done local

Everything else seemed fine to me.

Many thanks.

2. Boydie

Boydie Boycie VCDS Map User

You will need to get a sump plug with the same thread - just make sure you do not ring the threads or its new sump time!!

I have heard of people putting spark plugs in the sump hole in emergencies!!

3. Boydie

Boydie Boycie VCDS Map User

4. darren_wheeler

darren_wheeler Member

Many thanks for the research. I'm resigned to the fact it could be sump time, anything better is a lucky escape. If it is sump time, is it something a local mechanic can do as opposed to a main dealer 50 miles away. Cheers