Sump Plug Problems

Steve_D

Reaction score
Hello all im kinda stuck really bad at the minute!!

Well i thought it was time for an oil and Filter change, so i went and got someoil and a filter, Visited StokeAudi and got a new Sump Plug Washer.. simple

I also got some Engine Flush as my tappets were getting a bit noisy and thought it just could be a bit of crap... so with these in hand i started

Firstly warmed the engine up to normal temp, turned off the engine and put the Engine Fush in.. started it back up and Idle reved it for 15 mins (stated on the can), whilst i waited i jacked the car up and put it on axel stands.....

15mins went by and i started... took the under proterctive cover off and got my 17mm Socket and wratchet in hand... The Sump plug wont budge.. so gave it some more wellie.. nothing!! So i got a breaker bar on it... nothing.. evn with my back against a wall and my foot on the breaker bar.. it bent the bar!!

Now the nut is starting to round off and im really puzzled with it as to how im gonna get this off to get the Engine Flush out!! Really i should have tested the Sump Plug FIRST but hey i didnt and im paying the price.

If i take a blow torch to the bolt to heat it a little would this free it up?? Are there any pointers as to how im gonna get this problem solved?

I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me

The car is a 1.8 99 (T Reg) APT Engine.. 11,129 Engine made (So Audi tell me form DVLA)

Thanks Steve

Never had one that a breaker bar won't move, but I did have one that was rounded when I got it and that was a sump off and drill out. I did consider drilling it out with the sump fitted but was not happy with the risk due to no access to ensure it was clean inside after the job.

What is entailed to ge tht sump off? Does the engine have to come out?

Im not very native around cars but i can put my hands to it if nesessary.. i've done breaks, disks, oil changes before and re-sealed a rocker gasket. I love this A4 B5.. drinks a lot of fuel but its a alround brilliant Audi :)

I was thinking of Filing the Nut down to a 16mm, as its too far rounded for a 17mm to stay on solid with a little heat from a blow torch to try and expand the case a little enough to break the nut loose

you sure your turning it the right way?!

As paul says, the next step really is to remove the sump pan.

Yeah Anti-Clockwise to undo, i even rang Audi Stoke to see if i was lol... i've tried to tighten it too to release it... nothing!

Its got a copper Washer on it, if that helps any? Maybe i could hack at the washer?

copper washer is unusual, mine both have steel washers.

Maybe its been forced in and is the wrong thread? Either that, or its been massively overtightened and has distorted the threads in the alloy casting.

Well its definatly not a steel washer, i only realised its a copper washer when i was looking on ebay last night and there are copper washer sets available... real stupid to fit it im my opinion if its not the original part

I brought a Steel Washer from Audi.. 82p

The steel washer wont come off the original bolt anyway, so its clearly been dicked about with.

Sump off probably requires you to at least lift the engine up, and perhaps lower the subframe a little to get enough clearance to remove it.

Ahh now there are 2 kinds of bolts for the A4 B5, Audi Stoke were baffeled for a minute. basically the first 20,000 Engines made used a Plug with removable washer, and the Ones after used a Fixed washer on the bolt

The DVLA system says mine was the 11,129th Engine made and i have a removable washer type and they only had 189 in stock

but the bolt with washer that cannot be removed they have 89k in stoke and are fittet to engines after 20,000 and even new ones now

Last edited:
Just to give an update... Its done now :)))))))

I filed and hammered a 16mm socket on so it was a really tight fit, without using too much force of course, but a new breaker bar back on again, pulled the bar half way through and put my foot on the bottom side to push and my hand at the top side to pull

With all my force gave it a go, and again, and again.. and then with my spare hand grabbed a hammer and whacked the side of the breaker bar (Very Aqward may i add lol)

Eventually it undid the nut!!!! Finally

So what was a 1hour job max! Took me best part of 2 days!!!

Thanks everyone for your help and advise :)

Stephen