Sump info

ash_ s3

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing my sump this weekend I was wondering a few things before I start the job
1 . Do you leave the sealant to set for 5 mins before fitting
2.When fitting do I finger tight the transsmision side bolts finger tight first then the rest after
3.How long to I leave the bolts finger tight before torquing up to correct spec

Do your cake making on the floor.
Not too much so the excess gets stuck in the new oil pump strainer your hopefully fitting while doing this.

Offer the sump up and finger tight all the bolts.
Then torque.

The paste should have dried enough that between you tightening the bolts and filling the oil, a good seal will have been created.

1 . Do you leave the sealant to set for 5 mins before fitting

Nope...

2.When fitting do I finger tight the transsmision side bolts finger tight first then the rest after

Fit middle two bolts (one front, one rear) and nip up... fit gearbox bolts and nip up... fit remaining sumps bolts working from the middle and work out much like you would doing head bolts nipping bolts up as you go... then torque... again, from centre spiralling out

3.How long to I leave the bolts finger tight before torquing up to correct spec

Just get it done :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24
Nice one cheers guys ! Yes I've got new pick up pipe btw :D

I leave the bolts out behind the gearbox/flywheel as some solid mass flywheels you cant get in to nip them up.

Providing all the corner bolts are done up, shouldnt matter what order you do them. just remember, a VERY thin bead of silicone. 0.5-1mm of bead otherwise you end up with 1/2 of it stuck in your new pickup pipe

Leaving bolts out isn't recommended... never had a car with any combination of flywheel that you can't get on to the bolts... yes its awkward but a 10mm on 1/4" wobble extension will do it... you can also use a ball ended 5mm allen bit..

<tuffty/>

Had a valeo kit on my old 1.8T AGU that you couldnt get to the bolts because there was no cut outs on the flywheel. Not even with a 1/4" 10mm or a ball ended allen key. You can imagine how annoyed I was to have to take box out to get the sump off.

Have done a few without cutouts... as I said... its awkward but doable...

<tuffty/>