1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sump guard/skid plate

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by S3IZZO, Jun 5, 2008.

1. S3IZZO

S3IZZO Guest

[Jun 5, 2008]
    Has anyone seen anything like this for the A3 platform?

[​IMG]

More to the point, if I enquired about getting something like this fabricated would there be any interest in something like this?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[Jun 5, 2008]
    Looks custom made so you would have to go to a metal fabricators to get it done

Be carefull though if you do go down this line as you may get sparks if you catch the sump on the deck

You shouldnt need something like that though

the deisel engine is lower than the petrol, you and I both have 19" rims, I am lower though and my sump is perfect over shitty irish roads!
  4. S3IZZO

S3IZZO Guest

[Jun 5, 2008]
    It's a DieselGeek sump guard - I was looking under my car the other day and there isn't that much room tbh and i'd rather be safe than sorry.
  5. L60N

L60N Guest

[Jun 5, 2008]
    You could remove the plastic one and give it to a fabricators to replicate in steel :D
  6. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Jun 5, 2008]
    I wouldn't want to add anymore weight to an already " fat " car.

p
  7. L60N

L60N Guest

[Jun 5, 2008]
    I think the word is "phat" :anbet:

Any way, it could be done in ali which wouldnt add too much weight, but it wouldnt add any real protection either.

I am assuming its protection thats required. It cant be from an aesthetic POV, you cant see the bugger :p
  8. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Jun 5, 2008]
    It goes without saying it's " phat " but it's also a " fat " tw@t!

p
  9. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jun 5, 2008]
    May be worth enquiring at you local dealer as ETKA lists one for the 8P.

Paul
  10. Jon_w

Jon_w Member

[Dec 9, 2009]
    I have been considering one of these dieselgeek panzer plates.

Two weeks ago, whilst following a 4x4 on the main road here, I went round the corner and from under the 4x4 appeared a great big chunk of wood! which proceeded to get lodged under the engine next to the sump. Not so great having to stop on an uphill blind corner with the car jacked up with your head underneath at night time!

Result? cracked crappy plastic sheild, for which audi in norway charge about 180 pounds!

When driving in winter I hear the ice scraping the plastic, and i think a big enough chunk of ice could hole the sump, so now that its time to change I am seriously considering one of these.

Has anyone got one of these now? I am not gonna bother asking audi the cost of the steel one here.
  11. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

[Dec 9, 2009]
    I have an offical audi steel sump guard. I wrote about the price with some pics on THIS thread.
  12. Jon_w

Jon_w Member

[Dec 10, 2009]
    Hi Mike, yeah, I read about your official audi steel sump guard, and price, but was interested in seeing if anybody has imported the alloy dieselgeek one. The stealers in Norway really are stealers, when you consider that a new S3 costs 75 000 pounds!

So I'm not gonna ask the local garage about price, and if I import, i was considering the slightly lighter (I assume its lighter) alloy version, instead of steel from Audi UK.

Anyone had experience with the "panzer plate"? how well it fits etc.?
  13. garuf

garuf Member

[Oct 17, 2012]
    Looking at getting a steel sump guard for mine, anything new arose since this thread died?