1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sump and Oil pickup clean?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3-Oski, Apr 23, 2011.

1. S3-Oski

S3-Oski Member

Hi, My car is up for a service, but I would like my sump cleaned and oil pickup cleaned, at the same time.

How easy a task is this? If I took it into a local mechanic, would they have the stuff I need for it? Or would I need to order the bits for it?

Or if there is anyone around Essex area who is competent enough at doing this, I would happily pay what it costs? Its something I do not think I would attempt myself.

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. stacey bear

stacey bear ST8C3Y

Its not a hard job, im going to do mine asap, you'll need some brake cleaner and some good gasket sealer as theres no sump gasket, its just silicon. If you do do it make sure you get an even amount of sealer round your sump before you re fit it. You'll need your oil and filter too. Most car parts places will have those in stock as there a common filter and grade of oil...

4. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

Not a hard job, shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours.

You need a 5mm long reach ball jointed allen, silcone sealant, such as hylomar blue, a degreaser and a socket set.

My biggest tip is to remove the 3 allen bolts located next to the sump first, these are a right PITA and there's no point removing the other 19 bolts if you can't get these out. So do these first just to make sure you're not wasting your time.

5. S3-Oski

S3-Oski Member

Thanks mate, If anyone reads this and is around Essex, and can/wants to do this, I will happily pay what it costs, cheers

6. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

Don't forget the oil return gasket, or if you are like me just use the same sealant all round.

7. S3-Oski

S3-Oski Member

8. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

My advice is to just buy a new pickup pipe form Audi.

They are about £14, and that way it is CLEAN, not semi clean. I have tried cleaning out a pickup pipe, and you don't get as good a result as when you install a new one.

Do it right, do it once.

9. a8 tech back

a8 tech back Member

to do this completely remove the rocker cover and scrape the **** out
    remove the engine breather and clean it out also replace the pipes
    replace the turbo pipe feed pipe
    scrape the sump out
    clean the strainer out
    flush the oil through with some cheap oil
    reassemble fit a cheap filter and fill with cheap oil

run to normal temp and drain it

now fit oem filter and long life 3 oil or mobile 1

10. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

Exactly what i was gonna say. Buy a new one from Audi.

11. dmac626

dmac626 New Member

Sorry to point out the obvious guys, do all of the above if you fancy, but if you invest in a good oil additive/flush, add it to the oil through the filler cap, run ther engine for a good 15 mins, it not only cleans out the sump and strainer, but does all the internal galleries and the top-end at the same time. I've stripped the bottom end of a few Audi's after servicing with a good flush, and they've been spotless - brand new even. Cheaper alternative than parts and labour for the entire sump and strainer. Good flush cost about £10-15. Have a look about on t'internet for a good flush....

12. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

not all depostis can be removed with flush sadly, if it were as simple as adding a flush, don't you think we would take the easy option? LOL

13. S3-Oski

S3-Oski Member

Hi all, Does anyone know a good place/anyone in Essex that would do this for me in the next couple of weeks? Thanks.

14. dmac626

dmac626 New Member

Stripped bottom end off an A4, an S3 and an R8 after flush. A4 had 78,000 on it, S3 near 100,000 and the R8 about 18,000. Surprised me chief. Were absolutely brand new. Went on to do the top end on the S3....same thing. Galleries were gleaming, no sign of the usual ***** everywhere. I've got a **** old Peugeot as a run around and flushed that before fixing the bottom end. Same story. Might just be jammy...???

15. pj123

pj123 Member

dmac626 - were the A4 and s3 on long life servicing or annual/10k. My S3 is on 93k, oil has been changed every 10k so wondering if it is just cars on longlife that suffer from a blocked pickup or if I should do it when i next change the oil.

16. JamJay

JamJay Member

Thanks for the advice, certainly can't do any harm if it doesn't work I'd imagine. Can you recommened a good product?