1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on breaks

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Gazthesparky, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Gazthesparky

Gazthesparky Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 19, 2012]
    My cars booked into an Audi indie next week and just looking for a bit of info just so I'm prepared.

I seem to have a bit of a rubbing sound on the front passenger side wheel. I'm thinking either the pads need changing or the calliper is stuck anyway the garage will find out.

Question I've got is is it likely to just be pads? Or discs aswell?

I've got a 2.0TDI sline cab an it's just got standard brakes. If it does require new discs/ pads should I just have them replaced with the same or should I take the opportunity to upgrade them?

Your thoughts and opinions grateful

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 19, 2012]
    What sort of mileage have the discs done?

Standard discs will be more than adequate. If uprating anything, pads and fluid would be a better start
  4. Gazthesparky

[Sep 19, 2012]
    The cars done 46,000 miles ok maybe I'll just get the pads replaced and the fluid.

Again it might be nothing but just looking for information as I know nothing about the breaking system/ pads.
  5. Gazthesparky

[Sep 27, 2012]
    Right been to the garage today and they say that the car needs new pads and discs on the front of the car just thought I'd update the thread to keep you all informed
  6. Gazthesparky

[Sep 27, 2012]
    Right well I've got my car back from the garage and they have replaced the front discs and pads. Picked the car up and paid for the work...... But driving home there is still a rubbing sound while driving. It's not caused by braking its a constant rubbing/ grinding that is there even when not touching the breaks.

Anyway I'm going to call the garage tomorrow and get them to have another look. But just thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas what it might be. As I say it's not happening when I press the breaks.

Any ideas ?????
  7. Gazthesparky

[Sep 27, 2012]
    Right well I've got my car back from the garage and they have replaced the front discs and pads. Picked the car up and paid for the work...... But driving home there is still a rubbing sound while driving. It's not caused by braking its a constant rubbing/ grinding that is there even when not touching the breaks.

Anyway I'm going to call the garage tomorrow and get them to have another look. But just thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas what it might be. As I say it's not happening when I press the breaks.

Any ideas ?????
  8. Boro&Beth

Boro&Beth Member

[Sep 27, 2012]
    BTW it's brakes.

Breaks are something you do when you go away for a few days :p
  9. Gazthesparky

[Sep 28, 2012]
    Right been back to the garage and taken one of the tecs a drive in the car and he has Said it's the front passenger wheel bearing. So it's going in next week to be replaced.

My question is is it advisable to change the 2 front wheel bearings or just the pasanger side ? Is it best to swap the pair ?
  10. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

[Sep 28, 2012]

You will be fine just replacing the defective bearing , no need to do both sides.

Paul B7
  11. Richardesty

Richardesty loves quattro

12. Macdoon

Macdoon Well-Known Member

[Sep 28, 2012]