1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden random major electrical woes

voteforpedro Feb 9, 2009

1. andybnwc

andybnwc Member

£15 philips dust buster thing did the job for me , i also removed the grommets from the drain channels and made even more slits in them . I also removed the pollen filter housing and re sealed it . Those drain hole grommets are rubish and clog up really easy , i dont really see the point of them to be honest

2. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed! VCDS Map User

The sunroof has 4 drains one in each corner, maybe they are what is to blame.

3. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

So I bought a Black and Decker Dustbuster but I think I need to dry it out a bit more first.

When I leave the fan heater on in the car, should I wind the windows down so that the damp air can escape?

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

hmm, i think if you wound the windows down all the warmth would just blow away?

Perhaps try for a few hours with the windows up and see how it goes? or perhaps open one of the rear windows a crack?

Be careful with the heater too, dont want you setting the car on fire! :p

5. Caesium

I'd be inclined to remove all the trim and dry it out of the car, might be difficult but if a job is worth doing its worth doing properly, also with all the trim out you can see where the water is coming in. Otherwise all this may be for nothing.

6. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

I got the carpet out today with a little help from Stanley (knife).

Now I will let it dry out and I can concentrate on getting the inside of the car bone dry and, oh yeah, finding the damn leak. I will put the scuttle back together and then hose the car down and see if any water leaks in. If not, we can assume it was the scuttle tray. :)

7. Caesium

I'd check the sunroof drains as well mate

8. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

I checked the front ones, which are by one of the hinges (lower one I think) for the front doors, and they seem fine.

I believe the rear ones involve a trip into the boot and/or removing the rear bumper... can anybody clarify?