1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sudden loss of power after overtaking

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Reedswood, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Reedswood

Reedswood Guest

[Jan 14, 2012]
    Hi

I've an auto turbo tdi, and I overtook a car today, only to find soon after that I couldn't get any power to bring her up to speed again...any idea what could have caused this loss of power, plz?

Thanks in anticipation!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. dezzatheblue

dezzatheblue New Member

[Jan 14, 2012]
    Could be Turbo overboost, put car into limp mode.....happened to me a few days ago...my Turbo is a bit loud trying to get it done under the 3 month warranty from garage I got car from.
  4. Reedswood

Reedswood Guest

[Jan 15, 2012]
    thanks for the reply...how do you put it into 'limp mode'?

Once I turned the motor off, and left it for a while it seemed to reset itself, and is performing OK now, but still wonder if it's an issue that needs attention or not?
  5. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

[Jan 15, 2012]
    Oh no, yet another case of overboost. A way to test it would be to find yourself a stretch of road get into sixth and put your foot to the floor and see what happens once you get upto 90-100.
  6. jonnysimm

jonnysimm jonnysimm

[Jan 15, 2012]
    I had this too and i had to replace my turbo bad times. :sorry: hope its not the same for you because it an expensive change. id say get it scanned and see what comes up if it says overboost then you know you might have to change it.....
  7. Charlie Ford

Charlie Ford Member

[Jan 15, 2012]
    I have the same issue with mine goes into limp mode at 82mph. I have bought a cleaning solution from innotec to de-clog the vanes in the turbo. If it does not work looks like a new turbo :(