1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden grinding noise today!

monster_munch Mar 3, 2012

1. monster_munch

monster_munch Member

So, Im out shopping today, car is fine as usual. We finish up in Tescos and start the drive home, and suddenly out of the blue theres a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the front drivers side wheel.
    It increases and decreases with speed, but turning left or right seems to have no effect.
    I am presuming wheel bearing, but it literally started today, theres been no sign of it before now.
    Any ideas? Is it safe to drive tomorrow on a 50 mile trip to visit the 'rents for sunday dinner?!
    Its a 53 A3 2.0 TDI, 43k miles on, owned it since 32k miles and no problems until now.
    I dont have the tools with me now to jack the car up and check for wheel play or remove the wheel either or that would be the first port of call.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

Might be something simple like a stone stuck behind the brake calliper/splash guard.

3. VeeDubDan

VeeDubDan Active Member Team Monsoon

Sounds like you could have a stone trapped between the disc and splash guard. Best just to whip the wheel off and have a poke about.