1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sucking noise??!!!

MyS3 Feb 4, 2009

1. MyS3

MyS3 New Member

Hi all, long time lurker of this very good forum. I have enjoyed reading all the posts, the useful, funny and inspiring ones so thanks for that.

Bought my S3 way back in 07 and i still find the slightest excuse to go drive it.. :yellowrs4: i'm sure majority of you guys/gals? feel the same.

Anyways,started her up this morning with the usual silly grin in anticipation of driving and noticed an unusual sound... wound down the window and yep there's a sucking noise coming from the engine bay drivers side..like a pump sucking air..best way i can think of describing it!! It stopped after a couple of minutes of driving and didn't seem to be lacking in power!

So does anyone have an idea what this could be? Anyone experienced similar before i take her in to the dealers!

Any help would be appreciated..

2. consilio

consilio Up the owls!

lol, not the thread I thought it was :arco:

3. MyS3

MyS3 New Member

lol..yeah i did wonder if someone might get the wrong impression about that title!

4. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

I was thinking Gillian Taylforth might be involved!! :ohmy:

5. MyS3

MyS3 New Member

Gillian Taylforth! ls this a personal confession or wish?

6. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

I'm just surprised the thread is an hour old and no contribution from NHN :lmfao:

err, sorry I dont have a turbo so cant help you.

7. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

"She ain't my cuppa tea guvna" Wasn't she ehm, caught in a compromising situation some time ago in a range rover?

8. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

I recall Hugh Grant had a similar problem.

9. CJP80

CJP80 Member

It's your fuel pump priming the injectors and is normal on most modern cars.

10. MyS3

MyS3 New Member

Gillian Taylforth..Now you mention it she did (in the range rover..allegedly).

Thanks CJP80 i thought it might be that,never heard it before though and my previous 2.0 FSI sport had a slightly different sound for the fuel pump priming.

Cheers fellas.

11. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

Get married.
    That will make the sucking noises go away.:ermm:

12. boggysv

boggysv Member

Dunno about that, my S3 and mom's tiguan gives a mechanical whirl sound and only for a second or two at most, usually when you open the driver's door, and it'd be done even before you can sit properly. He did mention hearing the sound for a "few minutes"?

13. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

secondary air injection?

14. MyS3

MyS3 New Member

..lol yep it certainly does!!!

boggysv..had that same (whirring)noise on my previous A3.

Time for the dealer me thinks!

15. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

This.