Subwoofer location, comments

Although I have a Tracker Horizon fitted I don't rate these devices much. Most of their success seems to ride on the fact that the insurance companies insist on you having one so my two penneth worth is

NavTrak seem to have the edge on dealing with today's car theft ie. the system still detects theft even when the keys have been stolen - tracker does not as they still have to be alerted.

I too have switched to Liverpool and Victoria and they also confirmed that they will insure an M3 without a tracking device and they definitely offer top cover at the lowest prices.

Hope that helps.

I was going to build a custom sub box in my boot and have the port comming out of of the gap when there central arm rest is in the back seats.

Is the direction of the speakers important?

Here is a diagram

(not to good a diagram)

The direction of the speakers can be important depending on which sub you have....!
If at all possible i would build the box so that the sub/subs pointing through the centre arm rest hole, this way you dont see the subs in the boot but you get maximum effect.....
Hope this helps

From what i understand with subs their sound is non directional, as with a home cinema system the sub can go where ever as it does not need to direct the sound, if the amp is powerful enough you wont have any problems with needing to point the speaker anywhere.
Mine points towards the boot lid and i have no problems with sound sometimes it is too loud.

The only problem is the subs are 12". the gap in the arm rest is not 12", :-(

Any ideas.

Anyone wanna improve on the drawing

No he means a box in the boot, the sounds of the subs coming in through the area of the armrest ( although I have seen a JL 6.5 fitted in the rear armrest)

In terms of placing- try the box in different directions, only way you will know how they will sound the best as will depend on many things. Also consider removing the two back speakers so the gaps remaining help the sub vent through.

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
From what i understand with subs their sound is non directional, as with a home cinema system the sub can go where ever as it does not need to direct the sound, if the amp is powerful enough you wont have any problems with needing to point the speaker anywhere.
Mine points towards the boot lid and i have no problems with sound sometimes it is too loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

markey is quite right here.... im a Bass player and have spent thousands of pounds on sub units/cabs and amplifiers. o.k, i know its not quite the same thing as a car sub, but the fact is, true Bass is non Directional.
placing different materials infront of the cabinet port may affect the sound, but id avoid doing this if possible.
hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

oh the rear. haha yeah i use 4" MB quart componets up front and 6 3/4" MB Quart componets in the rear. and i use 2 JL Audio W3v2 10" subs in the truck

If you have a chance to get a hold of a JL 10w6 in a powerwedge box, those honestly will out hit any 12 or 15 you set in front of it...(with the right power of course)