Subframe clunk.

kev1000

Reaction score
well I think its the subframe anyhow.
Clunks on lock reversing out of driveway.
Can't find anything loose when car is on a lift.
Being reading a bit on hear about subframe bolts stretching so have a few questions if someone in the know wouldn't mind answering.
Which bolts and do they thread in nuts or into the body?
Can they be replaced easily enough with the car on axle stands?

Hi Paul, have you looked into the subframe bolts stretching at all.
This is my next step.
Just would like some info or even pics to help me along.

On my A3 8P, the subframe knocked whenever I moved off in reverse or 1st gear quickly. This was because the mount in the dogbone bush had perished badly. It's the bush on the left, which is what connects the gearbox to the subframe.

Engine mount complete

I know the engine is mounted longitudinally in a B6, but if there is a similar mount it may be worth checking. Also prior to this, one of my subframe bolts had snapped causing the subframe to move excessively. So much so that when driving, the car pulled to the left and would pull to the right when I accelerated! When I had the dogbone mount changed (was on £12), I also had some spacer plates fitted from ECS tuning. These are available in the UK from Awesome GTI. It tightened up the front end and is worth fitting.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/ecs-tuning/subframe-spacer-plates-kit-mk5-mk6-etc/

Hi DJ, seem to have no play in any bushes anywhere.
I already looked into those spacers and unfortunately they won't fit an A4.
All looks good when on a lift but straight away when i reverse out a drive while locking the steering a get a huge clunk!!

Have you checked the torx nut on the gearbox mount? I had this same problem last week, turned out the centre bolt on the gearbox mount had worked itself loose

Have you checked the torx nut on the gearbox mount? I had this same problem last week, turned out the centre bolt on the gearbox mount had worked itself loose
No will try that when i get a chance.
Would you not feel that through the gearstick?
Mine feels loose at the wheels when on rough surfaces!

Any updates here lads? Appreciate a few years old now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jtraxler1981