1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subframe bushes A4

AndyC Apr 4, 2005

1. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

After sorting all the suspension bushes, I have been pushing the car harder and found this has now transfered the movment to the front subframe

this, I feel needs to be either solidly fixed to the chassis or fitted with better mounts..

Anyone any thoughts??

Andy

2. deano16v

deano16v Member

i need to change the bushes on mine as there is a hell of a lot of floaty movement in the front end of mine. very disconcerting. i think its the lower arms. you can feel the tyres bite and then a mechanical move if that makes sense. i really need to sort it as i really hate the way it drives at the moment.

3. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

I have a similar feeling on my A4.

Just out of interest, what would it cost to have all the bushes changed?

Kev.

4. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I understand you can get a transmistion brace and a front strut brace that should help matters.

5. deano16v

deano16v Member

i know you can get lower braces. not all that expensive either really and come as standard on some of the range

6. AndyC

well the suspension polybush kit is £140 ish for the lot.

fitting is best part of a days work as the whole front suspension needs to be stripped.

However its well worth it..... and I mean WELL worth it.

the subframe bushes I am struggling to find though...

current thoughts are making a solid one to stop ANY movment!

7. docurley

The problem with that is that you will move the stress some where else and cause your self problems in the long run I would think.

8. deano16v

deano16v Member

just out of interest, anyone know how much the lower arms are? just parts-i can fit them. They are the source of my problems.

9. AndyC

doc.

I agree, but thats the whole point of this excercise... I want it right....

it was nearly there..

bearing in mind my engine mounts and frame mounts are 150k miles old and 9 yrs....

A.

10. AndyC

also

once the frame is mounted better and the engine cant go anywhere its just going to wear out the shocks faster...

but that I am not worried about really..

11. docurley

I got the impression you was going to weld the bugger up if so you would be stressing the car to a point where thing may crack rather than wear.

I have heard of up rated rubbers mounts for the 2.8 but cant find the link to see if they do it fot the 1.8T.

I will keep looking.

12. docurley

13. kninio

kninio Member

Hello , i have a car year 1996 its a 2.8 , do u think the subframe is prepaired to get the brace? or it doesnt have place to fit it? any info will be appreciated , i really like to install this subframe brace...