Subaru At Combe Accident

Would you like to explain to me what's funny?

One less to worry about........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Would you like to explain to me what's funny?

[/ QUOTE ]
if you don`t like scoobies its funny , nobody hurt = no harm done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

OMG ouch poor guy bet he was well gutted about that.

I see it as a car enthusiast that had an accident and banged up his/her pride and joy.

I would have thought that as a car enthusiast you may have some empathy.

I've never understood this sort of attitude. Seems childish to me.

Not necessarily there...you can be an enthusiast and yet not like that marque of car, after all, how many times have comments been made about Bimmer drivers on the forum yet I don't see you defending that marque of vehicle so where's the dividing line?? I OWN a Bimmer yet don't bother whether you like it or not I liked it at the time, my choice not yours, 4 me Subarus are like Clitoris every "Doodahs" got one, doesn't mean I need to enthuse over them, in fact truth be known I don't like the car IMO and rather enjoyed the Canadian Rally where by Subaru organised the event and got beaten 7 out the 10 rounds by....... an Audi S2 !!! So if you're a car enthusiast, it doesn't mean that you have to like ALL moving vehicles, your have your opinions others have theirs... lets leave it that way otherwise the forum is gonna be rather dull....

[ QUOTE ]
Lets get this right... you think the guy has had an unfortunate accident..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm sure it wasn't deliberate (therefore accident) and it sure as hell is unfortunate in my view...

[ QUOTE ]

1/ He knew that he was at risk from the start by putting the car on the track, knowing that his insurance wouldn't cover him for RACING.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I don't hear him moaning about it and seeking sympathy - what's your point?

[ QUOTE ]

2/ He was the one that put himself at risk, not any of the chaps on the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again a valid, but pointless observation

[ QUOTE ]

3/ The chap has had the misfortune of being out performed by the car , therefore he wasn't paying attention to the INSTRUCTORS that show you where to brake/accelerate etc etc OR he was showing off for the audience possibly filming the event at the side either way careless what ever way you look at it - he could have slowed down.

[/ QUOTE ]

What complete nonsense!

If he could have slowed down I'm sure he would, rather than bend his car.

It looks like he has braked hard, transferred a lot of weight forwards and steered simultaneously and then not caught the slide... A common mistake that most people who drive their car fast on the road or track will have experienced.

That his actions are a consequence of "not listening to the instructor" or "showing off" are rather contrived and again irrelevant to the "humour" of it all.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have sympathy for someone that has had all the chances to SLOW DOWN, CONTROL THE CAR, NOT EVEN WITH DRAW THE CAR IF HE WAS UNSURE AT ALL. Therefore I'd still say he was lucky it wasn't worse considering this result...

[/ QUOTE ]

Chances? Where? Do explain as next time I got on track I want to be able to take your reterospectascope with me and pre-empt and correct any of my own mistakes. Seems the power of the captain invincible goggles were weak that day for our poor man.. It was a MISTAKE, pure and simple.

What's the prediction from your crystal ball about this weekend's lottery results?

[ QUOTE ]
Oh! and with the regard the lack of insight and shallowness hardly, I've been out on the track mainly in Audis including RS2's and UR Quattros including Chris Wagners Rally S2, and I wouldn't call the drivers of these cars "Shallow or lack of insight" I'd call them PROFESSIONALS they know where to place the car, where to brake and apply a steady throttle to get the best results and balance from the car, and none of them did the above. So I'd say it was an overdose of Testosterone by someone that didn't know what they were doing...again no empathy there....he knew the risks and gave it his best shot and lost against the barrier... Ohhhhhh.......Bad luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's good to know that a passenger lap in someone elses car affords you the moniker of forum instant expert - care to accompany me on my amateur laps of the NBR this summer? Given this amazing foresight and invincability you may just come in handy.

Learning theory is such that mistakes are inevitable and we learn from them. This guy was unfortunate to cause so much damage as on another day he may have caught that slide earlier. especially given the forgiving nature of imprezas...

Given that you misinterpreted the entire purpose of my post I shall resort to more simplistic concepts...

IMO the driver is good as instead of preaching from his pocket book of forum fiction he has had the gumption to get into his performance car AND drive it to the limits (and possivly above - who knows this may have been his 1st trackday or 25th - as it was for my m8 who crashed recently)

It's nice to see performance cars used as they were intended rather than cruising around the local branch of Tesco's car park.

Yup, he made a mistake and presumably faces the consequences but I'M STILL NOT LAUGHING AND I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU ARE.... IT'S JUST NOT FUNNY THAT HE HAS DAMAGED HIS CAR.

And that is my point, why should this be funny, regardless of intent, blame or consequence... A fellow enthusiast has done a lot of damage to his pride and joy and the best response you can give is to laugh at him... It's just a bit sad really, isn't it?

[ QUOTE ]
The true mark of an Idiot.....Is a man whos opinions are always right even when the facts say he's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said it matey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Add me to the whats so funny list- a car enthusiast is a car enthusiast and the poor guy will be gutted to see his pride and joy crash. Bear in mind he was on a track and not driving like a idiot on the roads when it happened- so laughing at it is just imature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another very valid point, this guy made a mistake in the relatively safe track environment focussing any risk to himself and others who also know the risks of track days and motorsport in general.

the fact (iIMO) is, 7 out 10 scooby drivers think that just coz they`ve got a scooby it means they can DRIVE ! obviously not! IMO there was no need to hit that barrier side on, even taking into account the other driver(s) on the track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I feel sorry for the guy cause he has done damage to his car ,and i aint laughing cause we have all been there (where on the track or ROAD!) basicly i think the guy ran out of luck/talent! just at the wrong moment , BUT if he took it on the track you have got to expect the possibility of smashing up your car !
Yaseen is right it dont matter if its a rice rocket or a aston , its some ones pride and joy! just hope he is ok, cars can be fixed easy ! humans not so easy!

PS , has anyone noticed "6monthcar man " who posted this origanaly put the CRYING face! = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
so where did you all get that people where laughing at this??????

...nah it's not right! I feel sorry for the guy. regardless of knowing the risks there are still always accidents, for christ's sake look at F1! Enthusiast or not it's still not nice to make fun over the situation, regardless of who is driving what. I just hope the chappy is ok.

[ QUOTE ]

PS , has anyone noticed "6monthcar man " who posted this origanaly put the CRYING face! = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...that's a very good point...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...possibly from the countless threads where it's used to represent 'crying with laughter'? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Opinions, thats my point totally, you've had yours I've had mine, and they've had theirs, everybody has a different view on the matter and I make no appology for mine as I still think it was stupid to try but hey that's me for you, lets say I wouldn't have tried so hard until I felt comfortable with the car, the brakes were warm, and I was well familiar with the track.....thats my point...

I don't feel sorry for them, I ran Audi Ecosse 4 three years and witnessed quattros being shunted up the **** by people like the Subaru, I HELPED clear the track off debris from those that classify themselves as "Superior" drivers and in "Control" TWADDLE!!!!!!! You shouldn't be in control of a pram never mind a high powered car.. as you "Proudly" run up the *** of the car in front cos he won't get outta the way...... The Hot Hatch day at Knockhill says it all.....

In essence, "You know the risks, ya pays yer money and takes yer chances" he did, and paid for it with his car. As some else says further up [ No one hurt..(The main point!!) = No harm ] Cars can always be replaced or fixed....

Opinions, that's all they are at the end of the day ....Next contestant Plllllleeeeaaassee!!

[ QUOTE ]
Opinions, thats my point totally, you've had yours I've had mine, and they've had theirs, everybody has a different view on the matter and I make no appology for mine as I still think it was stupid to try but hey that's me for you, lets say I wouldn't have tried so hard until I felt comfortable with the car, the brakes were warm, and I was well familiar with the track.....thats my point...

I don't feel sorry for them, I ran Audi Ecosse 4 three years and witnessed quattros being shunted up the **** by people like the Subaru, I HELPED clear the track off debris from those that classify themselves as "Superior" drivers and in "Control" TWADDLE!!!!!!! You shouldn't be in control of a pram never mind a high powered car.. as you "Proudly" run up the *** of the car in front cos he won't get outta the way...... The Hot Hatch day at Knockhill says it all.....

In essence, "You know the risks, ya pays yer money and takes yer chances" he did, and paid for it with his car. As some else says further up [ No one hurt..(The main point!!) = No harm ] Cars can always be replaced or fixed....

Opinions, that's all they are at the end of the day ....Next contestant Plllllleeeeaaassee!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you just love myopic generalisation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

Seen that clip before...... Apparently the guy knows the circuit very well and had done that powerslide properly many times before. He just got 'bitten' that time, that's all!

Mind you, thank God it was only a scoob! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I akso dont think its funny...at all! regardless of what car it is, its still someones pride and joy. Think bout if that was you...wouldnt be so funny really would it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Don't you just love myopic generalisation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ....and I just lurv Hypocritical sycophantic Doctors, the ones that are against speed, "Speed kills" then encourage it........Nice!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...that's a very good point...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...possibly from the countless threads where it's used to represent 'crying with laughter'? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i put that smily as a crying smily not a p!$$ take. I would be gutted. I have done many track days and advanced driving courses and touch wood, never had a prang on road or track. I see myself as a very competent driver on track but there is always a possibility that a mistake can happen. I feel for the guy and the moral of this story is... ALTHOUGH EXPENSIVE, TRACKDAY INSURANCE.

To me he has over corrected what would have been a nice slide and the car just 'bit' at the wrong point and really unbalanced the car.

WOW how unlucky i thought he had that held lovely but just didnt straighten her up at the last second! Lucky it was only slight cosmetic damage it could of been alot worse! Not funny i feel sorry for anyone who crashes their pride and joy no matter what they drive! (unless its on a public road and they have driven like lunatics)

YIKES Scotty! So what car was that in? Bet that was a nighmare!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What happened on the insurance front? How bad was the car etc and how'd you get it back? Lots of questions there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Haven't you been on a few tracks and tours like that? Respect to ya fella! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Rob

It was in my TT. Insurance was fine as I used to have an insurance company that covered me for track days. I checked with them about cover and they weren't sure so they amended my policy to say "included at the Nurburgring"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The car had all the panels (excluding roof and hatch) changed, new front subframe, new steering rack, two new intercoolers, headlights, passenger airbag, all new wheels, totally replaced suspension all round, etc, etc

The chassis was fine and once repaired felt as good as new. I kept it for about 18 months after the repair.

I've done 20+ trackdays and numerous UK and European tours etc.

The problem was simply the weather changed quicker than I reacted. I didn't shed enough speed before a crest and as it went over the top it got on top of the water and aquaplanned. Unfortunately I was doing about 110-120mph. Fortunately the implacts were largley deflected and the car took about 600metres to stop after the initial hit. I was very lucky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To those that find my story funny : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

holy moly scotty! I bet that was quite possibly one of the scariest moments ever! that sounds well bad! pleased you lived to tell the tale and ur ok! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif ...how fortunate ensuring the insurance company would cover that specifically!!! PHEW!

so how did you get the TT back? were the repairs done abroad?

I'm sure nobody finds that funny....now do you reckon that's because of the car brand? nope - I doubt it, it's because you're someone who frequents the site and is known! wonder what reaction you would get on a scooby website with that story... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rob

i agree - it was painful to watch. i dont care what you drive, the ethos is the same. He is a braver man than me 'cause I'd never take a car onto a track - I'd just make a fool of myself as I 'aint that good a driver. i do fancy going CO at a Knockhill if David or Glen etc dont mind some time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rob,
The car was inspected in Germany by a local agent of the insurance company to see if it was worth bringing back. Since the chassis was ok they put it on a flatbed and returned it to a local repair place. It took about 2-3 months from the accident to get the car back.

I got home via hire cars etc all provided as part of the AA 5* cover I had. I always take this out when travelling abroad as it's cheap and occaisionally useful.

With regards the reaction of Scobby owners. I know a couple and they were gutted for me. They do how ever have certain generlisations in their minds and said I wasn't the typical TT owner as I actually "drove" mine!!

I try to never generalise as in many cases you can find yourself completely wrong. I've met hardcore scoobie nutters and a complete polisher just as I've met both in the TT world.

I wonder how 28v6 would react if one of his mates bought a Scooby. Do you reckon he'd laught if he crashed it or would it be different coz he knew the owner. Generalisations like some of those posted in this thread just show these people to be shallow and juvenile.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

without getting on yer case 28v6, I think using Colin Mcrae as an example is a bit pointless. I doubt he's gonna be too bothered, if bothered at all that he wrote off the company's car. all he has to do is drive it (don't get me wrong it obviously takes lots of skill to be able to do that and not so easy as I generalise) my point being, it's not his hard earned $$$'s that go into buying it, modding it and caring for it - is he out there waxing it each Sunday morning?

The point most people are trying to make is that regardless of car, it's down to the person - yes we are all majorly pleased the fella is ok (that's established) but it shouldn't be something that is still laughed upon. We should all think - thank god he/she is ok!

If it was the likes of a professional we wouldn't be bothered about the car at all! When Schumacher etc prang their cars we ain't worried about the car, but we hope they are ok. Thus more thought of going back to the times of Ayrton Senna. The car is therefore irrelevant with reference to professional motorsport teams - but to the 'real' enthusiast as stated earlier whom puts their pride and joy up and has the misfortune of having an accident only for spectators to revel over and gloat it's pretty petty isn't it....I wonder if such emotion is evoked from jealousy. Subaru's ain't cheap to own and maintain, a lot of people would love to own one! It's a sad fact of society today that if someone has something nice it has to be vandalised or such incidents laughed upon - i'm positive that has something to do with the green bug in their somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif ...and just before you ask I'm not saying you personally are jealous or would love to own a subaru, I'm just trying to figure out why people react to such incidents, is it a sign of the times?

Rob

[ QUOTE ]

With regards the reaction of Scobby owners. I know a couple and they were gutted for me. They do how ever have certain generlisations in their minds and said I wasn't the typical TT owner as I actually "drove" mine!!

I try to never generalise as in many cases you can find yourself completely wrong. I've met hardcore scoobie nutters and a complete polisher just as I've met both in the TT world.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - absolutely mate! I couldn't agree more, as with anything there are generalisations! we all do it, and that's just human nature! Knowign this and trying to overcome it is the point. To be able to step back and think fairly is too hard for some people... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif