1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub fitting - do it yourself or get someone else?

Toady May 31, 2004

  1. Toady

    Toady New Member

    Hi all, its prolly already been answered but oh well. My problem is that i am going to give my sub and amp to my sisters other half for his 99 S4 (gotta go work in germany for a year so he might as well use it). Think its a standard HU but i am wondering if it can take an alpine amp and sub without changing the unit or should i lend him the alpine HU as well? (don't really wanna do that, it will prolly be a git to get back off him)

    Also is it best to get someone else to do it or is it simple to feed the power cable from the engine?

    Any other help fitting this would be apreciated


  2. docurley

    docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

    It can be done without changing the head unit. He will need to run a power cable from the Bat to the rear, easy done buy running up through the ECU plastic housing and then into the car and up to the back. You will then need to find the remote on and off wire on the HU and connect a (pref.) blue wire and then run that to the rear.

    You will need a power divider for which connects to the speakers and will lower the power to a normal RCA/phono level which will give you your input signal for the amp. Take speaker feed off the none amp fitted speaker.

    I would imagine you know how to connect the amp and earth it so I wont go into that, but if you need pics and more info let me know as I have just done the same thing as a quick fix until I do a full and proper install.
  3. AndyMac

    AndyMac Moderator Moderator

    You already have RCA level signal going to the little rear speaker amp (bolted to the left rear speaker), so you'd be better off taking the RCA feed for the sub amp directly from here rather than using those horrible line level converters.

Share This Page