1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuttering on idle and under power

s3_will Apr 16, 2013

1. s3_will

s3_will Member

Morning all,

Just had a terrible drive into work in my S3. The past couple of weeks the idle when cold has been very poor and I've had to apply a little throttle to keep it from cutting out. This morning the car started fine but under power it would stutter. I had a similar issue to this once before and it boiled down to the MAF.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Will

2. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

you will need to get it scanned really but I had the same with a maf. get it scanned first then you'll know which route to take :thumbsup:

3. s3_will

s3_will Member

A friend has a reader so I'll plug that in and see what it brings up.

4. 16Klappe

16Klappe I <3 Panda's! Supporter

If it drives "ok" with light throttle I would suggest map sensor or more likely failing coil packs.

5. s3_will

s3_will Member

There is still some stuttering when driving on a constant throttle. Is there a way to see if the coil packs are going or just a case of replacing them and hoping that sorts it?

6. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

pull the out one by one

also try disconnecting the maf

7. s3_will

s3_will Member

I just about got home, the car went into limp home mode! Turned out coil 2 had failed. £20 later and I'm back up and running and back on full power.

Cheers for the help guys.

8. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

Good stuff :)