1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid eBay sellers

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by voteforpedro, Jun 18, 2009.

1. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

So I bought this short shifter kit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130298901701

The listing says 1996-2003... the box said 2001-2003...

So after ripping my current shifter apart, imagine by disappointment to find a number of differences and problems...

- Short shifter has a bend; stock shifter is straight
    - Short shifter uses push-on knob; stock is screw-on
    - Supplied bolt to attach stick to joint does not fit through the drilled holes in one side of the joint
    - NO INSTRUCTIONS
    - Came with loads of plastic bits not present in the stock shifter
    - Stock plastic "ball" has a large plastic bit which touches plastic dampers to stop it from clunking; not transferable to the new shifter

After dismantling the old one and loosing the springs which fly everywhere I somehow managed to find them and reassemble the old shifter although my Redneck circlip installation technique means I will have to sort it out pretty soon.

I am not happy. Can anybody recommend a short shifter that WILL fit my car and which DOES come with instructions?
  2. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think you will find he sent you the wrong one by mistake as he sells lots of different types, email him and ask him to change it.
  3. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

tbh I don't have much faith in sellers who assume which car I have and don't think to ask. I would rather get a refund and go elsewhere.
  4. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would give him one chance to fix the issue, people make mistakes.
  5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The pic is of the same kit i used to fit my old B5 5 speed. Do you have a pic of the new setup> maybe it's comat with my 6 speed and we can do a deal and all be happy?
  6. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

The pic looks like the correct one but the one I received is not - the stick is bent and not threaded at the end for the knob and there are other differences.
  7. Oranoco

Oranoco Active Member

The link looks the same as the kit I got.

Got mine off a mate for £10 as he said it was missing a couple of bits. My brother was going to knock up some replacements. Was well chuffed when it turned out to be complete. lol
  8. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Active Member

A push on top is from the B6 I think. Send it back, i'm sure he'll sort you a replacement.
  9. Oranoco

Oranoco Active Member

^ What he said. We're only human and mistakes happen. Give them the chance to rectify the mistake