Stuck temperature needle

Jcooke

Reaction score
Hello, just bought my first Audi a4 2.0 tdi, all was ok when I paid for it and it was started from cold and ran fine all the way home and warmed up fine to 90 on the temperature gauge. I have come to get in it this morning and the gauge is still sat at 90. The car has been stood for we'll over 12 hours plus. Any ideas what this could be? Have my Haynes manual and tools at the ready :readit:

james in sale in Manchester

There's no way it would still be that temperature after a night in the cold. Probably a stupid question but could anyone else have used the car before you got to it this morning?

Does the temp gauge still read 90 when the key is out of the ignition??

Yeah, no one has used the car, still sat there with keys out. Thanks for the quick reply mate

Normally when the key is put into the ignition and turned to the first position that's when the temp & fuel gauges 'energise' and show an accurate reading, before that they should be sat at 0 (all the way to the left).

Perhaps try running the car today and see if the needle drops back to 0 after it cools again. If this fails you can take the dash apart and potentially replace the servo/motor. Doubt you would be able to get a motor on it's own to replace it though... hopefully you won't require a new dash. That seems a little extreme for a fault temp gauge. How old is the car? Still have an Audi Warranty? If you do take it there ASAP before taking the dash apart

Car is a 2005. So wont have a warranty. Will give it run out today and see how it goes.

Would you know the part number? Also I believe some models have 2 is this correct?

take it back where you got it from