1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck! Radio signal booster bypass.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by JJ.Foulds, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

So my radio has no been working for several months now. The radio signal at the start would work, then i would go over a bump and it would not work. Now it does not work in the slightest and now i need some help.

I have removed the boot trim to reveal the signal booster, now im looking for a way to bypass the boost amp completley so i can check if it is the boost amp or the cable somewhere. If someone could help me with the correct cables as theres alot going into it which is a bit confusing considering its just the amplify the signal.

If i can bypass the amp, i will know that it is the cable snapped somewhere.

Thanks,
    JJ.
  2. JJ.Foulds

anyone got any ideas? :)
  3. JJ.Foulds

:( <--- me with no radio and listening to the same old CD's
  4. JJ.Foulds

i have tryed searching for which cables are the ariel so i can bypass the booster but im not finding anything, surely someone can just help me! :(

JJ
  5. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

What have you tried so far?

"free bump" ;)
  6. JohnE

JohnE Active Member

Just had a quick look in my Haynes manual and it appears there are two modules - one connects to canbus and manages the power to the aerial amp and the Heated Rear window.

It appears the aerial module (not the amp) has a power connector and two fakra connectors - both of these feed aerial signal to the HU - the HU has two aerial connectors, either twin Fakra or one ISO/DIN and one Fakra depending on year/model. This module also supplies the HRW as far as I can make out.

The amp is also supplied from the aerial module - so you should see a three wire connector from the aerial module into the amp.
    There is another connection which is the connection to the aerial elements in the glass.

I wish you the best of luck, but given the way the system works, I'm not sure the simple "bypass" diagnostic is going to work (or is even possible) - the amp doesn't work like the "trad" ones I've seen before where there's a simple aerial in/out.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. JJ.Foulds

this was and wasnt the news i wanted to hear lol. well im only trying to bypass to check if it is the booster not working, as i think its the cable somewhere. i will have a look in a bit! THANKYOU john!

JJ.