1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in the Mud

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Sim_88, May 24, 2013.

1. Sim_88

Sim_88 Neutral

[May 24, 2013]
    Hi all, I was at an event for work and long story short my car got stuck in the mud and had to be towed out.. A bit embarrassing but my main concern is the clutch.. I was revving and the wheels were spinning but I wasn't moving and I'm wondering if this would burn the clutch? Some of my colleagues drove past and mentioned they could smell it burning..

Should I be worried?

Also I drove about 5 miles back to the hotel fine but not sure if I've done any lasting damage?

The car is on 54k miles 2.0 tdi

Any advice would be great
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. wuta3

wuta3 Well-Known Member

[May 24, 2013]
    If it is still on factory clutch, I think they start to go around 50-70k depending on driving style anyway so at worst you just helped it along. Were you trying to "rock the car" out? Other than that I cant see a reason the situation would be brutal to the clutch unless im missing somethin?

... or ure bad at gettin unstuck :p
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  4. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

[May 24, 2013]
    was it clutch or tyre smoke due to them spinning in the mud?
  5. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

[May 24, 2013]
    Im on my standard clutch still and running hybrid turbo stage 2 at 1.7bar 341ft lb torque would worry mate you will notice it slipping before it goes so until that keep driving likenits fine as it most probably is
  6. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast VCDS Map User

[May 25, 2013]
    Those things happen every now and again. Just carry on driving and don't let that bother you too much.
  7. Sim_88

Sim_88 Neutral

[May 25, 2013]
    Thanks for the responses lads, yea it's still on the factory clutch but I drive quite carefully so I was hoping It would last me a fair bit longer before needing to be replaced..

I didn't actually smell anything but they were sure it was the cluth rather than the tires.. I was edging forward and then the wheels would just spin out for around 20 seconds I did this 3 or 4 times.. I guess it's the same as getting stuck on ice.. I can't remember if the clutch was engaged but if it was would I be a massive problem?

I guess people must do this all the time in winter and I don't hear too much about lasting damage but I just want to confirm this is the case?