1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strust brace as standard??

Defratos Jan 27, 2005

1. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

Hey guys, just wonderin if S3s come with a strut brace as standard? cause I bought mine second hand and there's a black strut brace, not sure if it was Audi who did it.

2. bigshout

bigshout Member

Yes it was standard. Black with half circlular fixing arms.

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys, just wonderin if S3s come with a strut brace as standard? cause I bought mine second hand and there's a black strut brace, not sure if it was Audi who did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early S3's like mine did not have the strut brace as standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I have one sitting in my dinig room waiting to be fitted though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. bigshout

bigshout Member

oh mistake. all the ones I looked at did but then I was looking at facelift models so this must have come in from 2001.

5. Defratos

thanks for that guys, mines a 2002 facelift so yeah I guess it's standard, cheers

6. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi RS3

My S3 is an early model (1999) and mine came standard with a strut brace.

7. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My S3 is an early model (1999) and mine came standard with a strut brace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know of another pre-facelift S3 with the strut brace standard, but it's a Dutch car so maybe it was a standard item here.....

8. jorgemiranda

jorgemiranda New Member

Any aftermarket strut brace?

9. HTC

HTC Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Any aftermarket strut brace?

[/ QUOTE ]

No point really as the Audi item does just fine.

10. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

A sturt brace will reduce body roll, and I would say that if you upgrade the rest of your suspension then a strut brace would be the next thing to do......but whilst the brace will assist on high speed corners I have a feeling that on the tighter turns you may well see understeer occur sooner.

Thinking about it, the S3's had a suspension change at the time of facelift, so I wonder if the lower end was sligthliy stiffened and this is why the brace was added as standard equipment. So it could be that you would see different effects on a pre and post facelift S3.........

Just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. Defratos

humm, ok fair enough guys, maybe it does a wee bit for the car "body roll", but I'm just thinkin more along the lines of. it's more worth while to fit suspensions rather than anti-roll bars, but the two are perfect companions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

12. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

my 2000 S3 pre-facelift has a strut brace as standard... think mine was built in 99 too... and surely anything that reduces body roll is a good idea!!!