1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggle to get reverse in S4

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Todd1983, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Todd1983

Todd1983 Member

[Jun 27, 2012]
    After successfully replacing the Lcd display in the instrument cluster yesterday, I jumped in the car and couldn't get it into reverse. After numerous attempts I had to switch the engine off, quite forcefully push into reverse and then start the car. Other gears feel a little tight but drivable.

Now I've only had the car a week today and am a bit concerned as has had the clutch & master cylinder replaced within the last 1000 miles (receipts). But bit of googling brings up that symptoms sound like either forks bent on the clutch pressure plate so unable to fully engage, or release bearing.

Can anyone advise on probable issues, and also is it a pig to get the gear box off? Have never worked on awd cars, always fwd or rwd. I have a garage, but is it too much to do on your back?

Thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 27, 2012]
    Might just need the linkage adjusting?

The gearbox is about 60-70kgs, certainly not something you'd want to do on your back under the car tbh.
  4. Todd1983

Todd1983 Member

[Jun 28, 2012]
    Easy/difficult to adjust the linkage?