1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strong smell of diesel in and around the car

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by tboy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tboy

tboy Member

[Sep 2, 2005]
    Hi,

I've just come back from a road trip down to Venice and back- I must have covered 3000 miles in a few weeks. Since I've been back I've noticed a strong smell of diesel in the car when ever I've pulled to a stop, and also outside the car towards the rear. I'm a bit concerned to say the least- anyone experienced something similar before?

Cheers,
    T.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. MikeA3

MikeA3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 2, 2005]
    Does the car suffer from any engine problems whilst running ?

or

Does the car still do the same amount of miles on a tank of fuel?
  4. tboy

tboy Member

[Sep 2, 2005]
    I seem to be getting the same mileage, and the car's performance seems fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  5. MikeA3

MikeA3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 2, 2005]
    Oh right - my first thought was that you had either a problem with the fuel pipe of the fuel tank - if the car running ok then I guess not.

As the smell is coming from the rear of the car, it's quite strange because theres really nothing there that uses any diesel so i'm a bit stumped.

You might want to re-post in the A3/S3 forum at the top as it's a bit busier and someone might be able to help you out

You did put the diesel in the right hole I take it?

Good luck

Mike
  6. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Sep 2, 2005]
    if you have got a PD engine it maybe the fuel cooler it runs front to rear under the drivers side of the car, i have just had to change mine as the return pipe was leaking, the car ran fine and i was still getting 60mpg
  7. tboy

tboy Member

[Sep 8, 2005]
    cheers for the help guys. It turns out one of the fuel pipes was absolutely p1ssing diesel everywhere! Not cheap to replace tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif