1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stripping S3 for track

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by lloydie1, Feb 15, 2012.

1. lloydie1

lloydie1 Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Morning all, new S3 owner here.
    Ive bought an S3 thats had a slight knock on the front end so got it cheap, and i was going to put it back on the road, but to do so would be expensive (replacing aircon for one, which i dont use) So now i have the intention of turning it into a track car, but ive noticed that no-one else seems to have done the same on an S3... ? Ive seen Prawns A3, but is there a good reason im missing for not using an S3 - seems ideal to me. I have some skills and contacts so it will have a full T45 cage, buckets, stripped (which is a shame) and moderate power. Any info gladly received, also if anyone knows of a company making a roll cage that would be handy - i have my eye on a Mk4 Golf cage which is going to be 'close'.

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Mine's a mk4 golf cage as well mate, nobody I know of makes a decent cage for the a3 specically at all. I spoke to custom cages who said a golf cage 'Might' fit, but they wern't prepared to sell me one on the ground that if it didn't fit they wouldn't want to take it back.

I think an S3 track car would be a good idea, just don't expect it to be a cheap project!

It's a heavy luxury car which is probably why nobody has really tried it before, but I bet you could get it down close to 1200kg if you tried hard.

Biggest things I'd focus on are brakes and handling, removing weight is cheap, and a mapped ko4 S3 is reasonably rapid anyway.

I'd have a go at it, and see how you get on. I'd be prepared to have to change the haldex controller though, as they seem to react a bit funny on track, especially in the wet!
  4. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    As youve already looked at dons build thread.same quattro chassis as the s3
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 15, 2012]
    There have been moments when I have considered stripping mine out but I love the comfort so I just went for more power instead... :racer:

<tuffty/>
  6. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Feb 15, 2012]
    I went on track at the same time as that white S3 at silverstone a few years back... To be honest he could rip me a new one on corners as his was stripped out and i was fully loaded so to speak and i had a passenger,
    There a re a few TT's ive seen track ready. Surely they weigh about the same to start with?
  8. lloydie1

lloydie1 Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Who is it made by, and how much modification to fit it ? Brakes and suspension sorted. Getting some IE rods shipped over, then im going to pull the engine and strip it :)
    ...and yes the interior is a bloody lovely place to be but i can hopefully sell it all and get some cash towards the project. Pair of buckets is all i need.

Thanks
  9. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Feb 15, 2012]
    mine's an OMP AB105-P bolt in cage Lloyd, 10 point as standard (6 usual + B-pillar and above screen), and I've added an extra 2 ties at the A-pillars as well.

Modification wise it didn't really need anything, just the feet custom making at the right height for it to sit nicely in the shell. mine's DEAD right to the roof structure though as I feel that's important, it's actually butted up touching the roof frame on each upper corner, and welded where it touches.
  10. liquids3

liquids3 Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    The white s3 was someones that worked for redline magizine,its green now,for sale i think!
  11. slepy

slepy Extremely smart and handsome person. VCDS Map User

[Feb 15, 2012]
    I've been looking for the A4 1.8TQS for the track because I have a soft spot for B5's but having compared my daily B7 2.0tdi quattro to 8P S3 in the last few weeks I've changed my mind about it and now looking for S3 8L or a TT.
    S3 8P is so much quicker in steering than B7 and feels lighter as well. Although I think that torsen quattro is way better than haldex one when it comes to corners but I might have more fun with ass getting out gently with haldex.

Keeping an eye on this TT on ebay because it might be a good start price and could stick rods in straight away.
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    Any views on this? Oil pump failures are quite popular in 1.8T just a matter of how bad it is. Another 1.8T engine isn't a fortune now either.