Strange squeal when the engines not under load

Nutkin

Reaction score
Just started tonight.

When in neutral or when I engauge the clutch it squeals like a loose belt.

but how would the belt become loose and surely it would do it all the time >.<

I stopped at home opened the engine and it was squealing then just stopped. Turned off and back on nothing. then a little peep and nothing again.

Ill see if its still doing it tomorrow as these cars have a habbit of fixing themselves.

It could be the auxiliary drive belt... if you look right down between the radiator and the front of the engine you will see it spinning... does the squeal also happen when you have the steering wheel on full lock??

Just started tonight.

When in neutral or when I engauge the clutch it squeals like a loose belt.

but how would the belt become loose and surely it would do it all the time >.<

Ill see if its still doing it tomorrow as these cars have a habbit of fixing themselves.

Hi, i had the same sort of thing last year on mine but mine screached when you either reved the engine or came off the power when driving, turned out it was the air con pump bearings had gone:sadlike:

still no closer to this, seems to squeel when not in gear most the time. but when i lift the clutch in gear with handbrake on it goes away :/

I might get the aux belt change but its annoying to do this when it doesnt need it. To top this off i clipped a rock that idiots put on their grass fronts to stop people parking there as a lorry was coming the other way. nice big gash out the bottom of the front bumper :( not tooooo noticable but still anoying cause i know its there.

Mine was the same, neutral or when you came off the throttle, have you checked the air con pump, the easiest way is to get a long piece of wood place one end on the pump stick you ear on the other end and get someone to rev it up if you get the noise through the wood the bearings have gone, my garage used a stethascope to do the same thing but i doubt you have one of those handy! the other way to eliminate this is to take the belt off the front of the pump and see if you still get the noise, sounds so similar to what mine did.

sounds expensive. ****** vags :( can you buy the bearing or clutch assembly seperate?

thats not the aux belt anyway... no idea what it could be... sorry...

Changed this today !!!! OMG!!! the difference in throttle responce is amazing!!! sooo much better, 3 pipes and a huffer valve from the main oil breather system had corroded to the point where they just crumbled in my hand.