1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange smell..

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Banwell, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

[Oct 10, 2003]
    Continuing on from my full on race through the N. Yorkshire dales, the cars developed a rather worrying habit of emitting a strange plastic burning smell.

Though it was coming from the exhaust at first - and a mate reckoned it was too. He suggested the engines burning oil & this isn't a desirable thing in a 10 mth old motor!

I tend to agree and think maybe I've damaged the cat somehow. But that comes from over filling the oil - which I generally keep near the top level. But doesn't fit as I recently topped up - did 800 mile in a day journey - romped through the yorkshire dales the following weekend - then strange smell. I topped it up after the strange smell started during the week and if anything its getting more pungent.

Performance hasn't suffered though. What's the signs of a knacked cat?

I thought it could be down to the cold air we've been having and the engine blowing out some cobwebs, but now I am not so sure.

I recently fitted a set of EBC pads could that be the source of the smell? (1500 miles ago)

Yours,

Concerned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

[Oct 12, 2003]
    hmm. may have to inspect that one if i can get the car on a ramp.
  4. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Oct 13, 2003]
    Quite right, don't think the worst...it doesn't pay.

Get it up on a ramp after some thrashing and see if you can locate the smell.
  5. pure

pure Member

[Oct 13, 2003]
    I had same prob on a previous car, it was a plastic bag stuck to the cat.