1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange smell from underneath car

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_ashs3, Nov 10, 2004.

1. imported_ashs3

imported_ashs3 Guest

[Nov 10, 2004]
    Think it may be the exhaust, had taken the car out for a good run and when I parked up I opened the door and got a whiff of what smelt like metal that was being welded or smouldering? smelt the rear pipes of the exhaust and it smelt like gone out sparklers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    The exhaust was making a hell of a crackling noise, more than usual, was worried that something was smouldering underneath, but could not see anything ?
    Is this normal after a bit of driving hard, I only went for a 10 min drive and ended with a burst to 80mph then straight on at a roundabout pretty fast and to a stop on the drive, opened the door and that's when the smell hit me?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. firestorm

firestorm Member

[Nov 11, 2004]
    thats burnt clutch smell - the quick launch did it probably, btw di you do any reversing ? thats when I get the smell....
  4. imported_ashs3

imported_ashs3 Guest

[Nov 11, 2004]
    Don't get it when reversing either.
  5. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[Nov 11, 2004]
    I reckon I'd go and try driving it hard again, but without doing screaming standing-starts and all manner of other craziness before it's properly warm.

Hit it again but instead of going for a hard 10 mins, do the first 30 nice and easy (or if you can't wait 30, just wait a few minutes after your temp. gauge hits 90) - then give it some.

Take a wiff then for a more 'controlled' opinion?

Regards,

Rob
  6. Add7

Add7 Member

[Nov 11, 2004]
    what about if it smells really eggy? is that ok?
  7. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[Nov 11, 2004]
    eggy, is probably sulpherous from the cat. I think thats okay.
  8. imported_ashs3

imported_ashs3 Guest

[Nov 11, 2004]
    Still got the smell even after just driving around normal today, not as strong though, changed my mind about the smell as well, it smells kinda burning metal/plastic now so thinking it may be plastic bag or something stuck on the cat? if not then it is the manifold that is smelling when hot?
  9. imported_YOGi

imported_YOGi Guest

[Nov 11, 2004]
    Could be oil leaking onto the exhaust and creating the nice eggy smell. Check you havnt got any oil leaks.

YOGi
  10. imported_ashs3

imported_ashs3 Guest

[Nov 13, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    YOGi said:
    Could be oil leaking onto the exhaust and creating the nice eggy smell. Check you havnt got any oil leaks.

YOGi

[/ QUOTE ]

I havn't got an eggy smell, more like burning plastic/metal, it is def not the clutch, the eggy smell I only get when reversing thanks to the CAT (that is normal) I am putting it down to either a plastic bag or something on the cat (if it goes away I know I am right) if not will get the exhaust looked at under warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
  11. imported_YOGi

imported_YOGi Guest

[Nov 13, 2004]
    Yeah your right. Could always be a plastic bag burnt onto the exhaust. Keep an eye on it.

YOGi