1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange rhythmic clunking/vibration

Mollygoogle Sep 16, 2013

1. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Member

1.9 130. The car has been running absolutely fine until yesterday morning. When I started it up there was a strange vibration through the car, a rhythmic clunking and a rough idle. I didn't have time to look at it so left it until today.

I checked the fluid levels which are fine. Fired it up. It now idles fine. I took it for a short drive and it drives fine. The clunking noise seems to match with the item boxed in yellow moving from side to side. Could just be a coincidence as I'm not that knowledgeable on engines and don't know what it is or whether it is supposed to be moving or not. Any ideas

IMG_0514_zps602f5ec1.jpg

2. glenandem

glenandem Active Member

Do a search for alternator clutch pulley, if your tensioner is bouncing about will probably be that!

3. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Member

Thanks for that, I'll have a look about

4. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Member

A quick look around on here and watch of vids, etc, shows that this is exactly what it is. Thanks for the heads up

5. glenandem

glenandem Active Member

No probs, I did one on a passat a few years ago and the alternator is easy to get out but think you needed a multi splined socket if I remember right on the actual pulley!

6. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

You do and they are usually on f****n tight