1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange rattle on start up

FranA3 Jul 11, 2010

1. FranA3

FranA3 FMDETAILING Site Sponsor Regional Rep Gold Supporter Team Brill Red Audi A3

hi all ive got a 1.6 FSI sport a3 and every now and again when i start it there is a very strange rattle from the engine like the tappets or something i cringe every time it happens and it makes people look lol just wondering if its something i should be worryed about and change something soon as pos , and my mates 09 plate golf 1.4TSI makes the same noise cheers fran :think:

2. ahed

ahed New Member

3. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

it won't be a DSG. the 1.6 FSI was never available as an auto

4. kaliber

kaliber kaliber

ive got the same car as you, and have been getting this noise for the last 8-9 months. ive heard alot about timing chains being the culprit, but not 100%. i would be very grateful to anyone who knows any other info???

5. DenCar

DenCar Member

6. FranA3

FranA3 FMDETAILING Site Sponsor Regional Rep Gold Supporter Team Brill Red Audi A3

no its not an auto as sub39h says dsg was not an option on a 1.6 fsi , i have heard that it could be a timing chain tensioner but how could it be the same on my mates 7000 mile 09 plate golf hmm weird but i will try and release the key a bit earlyer 2 see if thats any better lol , is it just a problem with fsi engines