1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange power loss?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ollyste, Feb 26, 2006.

1. ollyste

ollyste Member

Noticed that the other day my s3 seemed down on power. It has been chipped by the previous owner and have noticed this before.
    Its as though its just running standard 210 bhp. Also the re-circ valve seems to go quieter.
    Must admit i was running pretty low on fuel but wondered if anything like this could effect optimum performance!
    I have also heard some kind of vibrations( high pitched) low revs from the exhaust?
    The car is due an Mot next month

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

Sounds like the cars gone into limp mode, you should try and get your fault log checked on vagcom.

In limp mode the boost is reduced so the sound of the recirc valve would be alot quieter.

4. ollyste

ollyste Member

Been in the car today and its seems fine again . Not had the car long(5 months) and its only happened like this a couple of times.
    Suppose i will stick with it for now but its not what you want is it?

5. chrisb

chrisb Member

[ QUOTE ]

I have also heard some kind of vibrations( high pitched) low revs from the exhaust?

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be the catalytic convertor is breaking up and partially blocking the exhaust. Try shaking the exhaust about to see if you can hear loose bits rattling.

6. madvw

madvw Active Member

when you say down on power, do you mean across a certain rev-range, pulling away, in-gear acceleration, when colld, when hot, etc etc etc.... or just performing like a dog full stop?

7. ollyste

ollyste Member

From what i can remember the revs seemed to rise a lot more freely through the gears up to 5000ish under normal driving conditions and the engine would not be that hot as i only do mainly short journeys.
    Not had chance to look at the exhaust yet but at least i know now its not that as everything seems ok now and i can still hear it.