Strange patch of paint when cleaning my mums car???

Craigybaby37_A3quattro

Reaction score
In one of my post i put on here recently i mentioned about a small patch of paint that come up a different colour to the rest of the panel after a gd polishing and ime very qurious as to what it is and what exactly to do about it as it looks hidious.

anyways heres a picture of it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/craigybaby37/a3buh020108013.jpg

Think i need some advice from one of the experts at polished bliss or someone else with a lot of knowlege???

Craig

what car is it and hasa your mum had it from new? Any known accident damage?

Gues any info like this will help the experts to answer and help us novices to learn!

oops sorry yea that would help.

The car is a 96 A3 in ming blue. she hasnt had the car from new sadly she got it about 3 years ago and it has no recorded accident damage but it was a city car before she had it so its possible its been bashed about a bit.

Craigybaby37_A3quattro said:
oops sorry yea that would help.

The car is a 96 A3 in ming blue. she hasnt had the car from new sadly she got it about 3 years ago and it has no recorded accident damage but it was a city car before she had it so its possible its been bashed about a bit.

Sounds like Bird Pooh, probably after eating elderberries!:icon_thumright:

Thats a good point ive never fort it could be bird poo which is a good possibility........as i know on a few occasions the cars been crapped on and it hasnt been cleaned for a long time. And living in the country side theres a lot of different berrys around for the birds to eat.

My initial gut feeling is that it is clear coat failure; the way the patch blends in from the left to a sharp edge on the right is suggestive of too much clear removal by machine. A proper visual inspection and paint depth readings is the only way to properly tell. The paint on Audi wings always seems to be much thinner than on other panels, and we have seen readings as low as 50 microns in the past, which means there isn't always a lot of clear to play with, and even less so if the car has been machined multiple times in the past. The paint transfer supports my feeling; once you go through the clear the pigment layer is reached and transfers onto the pad. However, without seeing the car in the flesh I can't confirm any of this. Based on your method and products clear failure shouldn't have happened, but without knowing the full history of the car and in particular the quality of previous repairs then this type of thing can happen. It might be worth asking on Detailing World if there is anyone in your local area who owns a paint gauge who would be willing to take some readings for you - that would firm up the answer. :)

thanks for the reply it looks like my worse fears have come true of it being a clear coat failure.....ime even more ****** off as its my mums car and not mine.

Dont sound very good about the paint being thinnner on the wings especially from audi. Mind you it could be a lot worse as its on the side of the car with the huge key mark down the side, i dunno if my mums going to bother getting it all sorted as yet.

Thanks for ya advice appreciate it.