Strange noises from the engine

tfox

Reaction score
Website
ewfew
HI,

A while ago I noticed some strange noises from the engine of my A6 1.9TDI ('02).
When I accelerate I can here astrange rattling noises and if the window is down the turbo is really loud. Ive had it in at audi who say they will need it for 2 days to test it (sounds far too expensive) but it could be a problem with the exhaust/CAT or turbo.

Has anyone has had this or heard of it before?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

Has there been any loss of performance or smoke coming from the exhaust?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah it does seem sluggish and if I put my foot down theres a massive cloud behind me

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

is it an intermittent fault or hard fault ?

sounds like a turbo hose has split or come off. This would cause loss of pressure into the engine, resulting in not enough air to match the fuel ratio = black smoke and the loss of power

Tom,

What colour is the smoke from the exhaust? is it a continuous problem from starting the car or does it only happen once your underway and the engine has had time to heat up?

Also have you had any work done on the engine recently?

Mike

HI,

It happens all the time. The turbo sounds really loud straight from cold up until I stop n a long journey.
Not sure about the smoke from the exhaust, I think it might be black (I dont stick around long enough to see!)
I havent had any work done recentley either- ive had the car for a year and done 20k- it just seems to have got progressivley worse.
Not sure if its related but as the turbo noise gets louder there is like a vibration through the car like the exhaust is knocking the body.

Cheers

Tom,

As Jon posted above it does sound like it could be a problem with the turbo hose.

If the hose has split, the noise from the turbo would be louder as you will be hearing the air passing through the hose and escaping before it reaches the turbocharger, that could explain the increased volume and cause the rattle you referred to.

As air escapes before reaching the turbocharger less air will be being "pushed" into the cylinder resulting in the wrong mix of diesel and air which would produce more smoke than usual.

This fault would also have an affect on the power as it reduces the turbocharger's effectiveness, does the car feel as powerful as it used to?

Also, as you've done 20k on it, it might be worth taking it in for a service

Hope you get it sorted

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. It has been in for a service since it started but they didnt have a look at it.
When I did ask if they can have a look they said they need the car for 2 days (sounds expensive!!).

Do you know where the turbo house is and is it something I can check myself?

Thanks again

Tom

Erm I meant turbo hose not house!!

Tom

Tom,

It does seem a bit odd that they didn't find the fault during the service? - was it a main dealer or an independant?

I'm not 100% sure about the engine layout on the A6 but i believe it is different to the A3 so a picture of my engine bay won't be a lot of help i'm afraid.

You could do a search or post the question in the A6 forum but It might be easiest to open the bonnet whilst the engine is running and follow your ears.

good luck

Mike

Cheers Mike,

Yeah it was a main dealer. they did say there was defo a problem but they wanted it back for two days to find the fault.

Its going for MOT this week so i think ill see if a independant can see anything.

Thanks for your help

Tom

Tom,

Not a problem,

let us know how you get on as someone else might have a similar problem in the future

Mike