strange noise...

lol4fun

Reaction score
When ever I loose traction when maneuvering on grass or something slippery I hear a noise like a muffled wet fart. Anyone else had this? Should I be worried lol

No traction control, just realised the car has drilled and grooved disk's, would that make a noise like a cable tie spinning against something? Its not there while driving normally, just when traction is lost at low speeds

could be an inner cv on its way out, i had a mk3 vr6 on coilovers years back and when dropped low it would eat the inner cvs... hated changing them aswell. could the noise be from the diff if the wheels spinning it would be working hard, dont/didnt the fwd golf turbos have problems ripping all those rivets out around the diff housing.. do the a3's suffer that?

sorry op, not trying ta put the fear of god in ya, probably just something loose and rattling...

Its not been lowered and makes the noise just rolling off the clutch if on slippery mud, there are 7 cars on my front garden in almost daily use so the grass gets chewed up a bit. Is the abs on a pre facelift a3 mechanical or electrical?

Mine does this exact same thing, I think it's traction control kicking in, but sounds like the clutch is trying to bite a cheese grater or something.

Sub'd for answers!

That's the sound, no traction control on mine as it too old lol

To be fair, mine doesn't have traction control either. Not sure what it is? Does it feel like you could put your foot down and that noise would just continue like it's restricting the engine being connected with wheels?

clutch on the way out or diff... could still be a failing cv... best thing you could do is take it to a garage and they probably wont charge you to tell ya what it is. its hard to describe to people on noises through text.

Mine does this to pretty sure it's the haldex clutch

Its normal, you may not have traction control but you do have EPC which will prevent wheels spinning below 30mph. Fitted to the early A3 and S3 models before traction control came in around 2000/ 2001. Noise you hear is the abs pump and it uses the brakes to prevent slip aswell as a few other controls that kill power to the engine. I have a 99 s3 and it does it when on wet grass or loose gravel, i never get a light to say it is operating, you can only hear it.

pj123 I have this same problem today abs light as come on and the left front wheel is locking up?/auto braking it has also done this when the abs light as been off mine is a a3 1.8t 99 so before traction control no esp button,what could be causing this? cheers

the only issue i have had on this system is the esp light on because of a faulty brake pedal switch. you need to get a scan to diagnose the cause.

it came up fault on front abs sensor so i have replaced the front abs sensors but they wudnt fit in the hole so I shaved some off them to fit now iv been told I should of cleaned the housing I cant see how that would make any diffrence tho