1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Noise when reversing

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Nimo, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Nimo

Nimo New Member

[Feb 23, 2003]
    I have recently been getting a strange noise only when I begin to reverse .... it's difficult to describe what it sounds like, but it's not dissimilar to the noise a squeaky brake makes, only louder. It happens only in reverse and not when I have the brakes on ...

Anyone had this? Can anyone guess what this might be??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    Hi,

Obviously without hearing the sound or trying to pin-point were its coming from its hard to say.

You say it sounds like the noise a squeaky brake makes, my guess is it probably is that. You may have a caliper that has seized slightly, causing the pad to rub on the disk.

My car makes the sound when I apply the brakes in reverse - but only when cold. If yours is doing it without the brakes being applied, your caliper may not be releasing the pad far enough away from the brake disk.

Just my guess.

Regards

AL
  4. Nimo

Nimo New Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    Thanks Al ... it could well be that. What I find strange is that it only does it in reverse. But appreciate your comments
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    Quite normal for brake noises to only be heard in reverse, try a bit of copper grease on the back of the pad where it conatcts the piston (which is standard practice when reinstalling pads), and you'll probably hear no more from the buggers IMO.

6. RAPS3

RAPS3 Well-Known Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    Just a thought but it could also be the clutch.
  7. johnnyddaman

johnnyddaman New Member

[Dec 26, 2009]
    Hi

Bit of an old thread?!

Did any of you guys find out what this was?

Im getting a grinding noise (sounds like its coming from the transmission somewhere rather than brakes) when initially reversing quickly. It only lasts a second or so then goes away. Its ok when going forwards and ok when reversing gently.

Any ideas?

J