1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange noise when reversing/accelerating from a standstill

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Grant, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Audi S3 Audi RS3

Recently I've noticed a 'strange noise' coming from the front left wheel. The noise is only apparent at low speeds, especially noticable when reversing with hard right hand lock and also when accelerating from a standstill.

I've jacked up the front of the car and I can't see or feel anything loose.

Does anyone know what may cause this issue?

My car is an 2008 A3 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro with about 44,000 miles.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Paullie

Paullie Banana Menace!
    VCDS Map User

H Grant, can you try and describe the sound at all? I once had a stone stuck in between my brake disc and the rear splash guard that made a terrible metallic sound when driving, ..it just needed me to push the splash guard back slightly, a stone fell out and the noise was fixed. I only say, because I know the state of the roads up here after Winter and wonder if you could be experiencing the same as I did last year. Whatever it is, I hope it's a simple fix for you :wub: xx

4. Graham89

Graham89 Derv Perv

Could be a number of things, like the above, I'd take a look at cv joint, wishbone bushes, console bushes, top mount, basically everything within the vicinity i'd have a look at.

5. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Audi S3 Audi RS3

It's a clunking sound - if that helps!

Top mounts is an interesting suggestion... how would I test that without dropping the strut out?

6. thomasdepow

thomasdepow New Member

Hi guys, really old post and sorry to bump it up but did you find out what this clunk was?

I've recently got a 140 black edition and has same issue, front left clunking under slight breaking when reversing.

Only happens when I pull forward slightly allow the car to stop then reverse at slow speed and press the breaks.

Any help would be great!

7. ninjakid

ninjakid Member

I can confirm I get the exact some clunking sounds when I reverse and slightly apply the brakes. Mainly when reverse parking. Im still yet to get it jacked up and have a poke around. I wonder if its anything to do with some kind of subframe knocking.

8. Mike X

Mike X Member

I would say it was the brake pads moving slightly ninja kid , nothing to worry about .

9. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo 6+1 Gears
    Bronze Supporter

Could be the brake pads, if they've been changed recently (this happened to me both times I've changed them on the front).
    Also, subframe movement, ARB bushes and/or the bolts holding it in place (they can become loose and move in place), tie-rods.