Strange Noise when pulling away ?

Dave DND

DND Services Ltd
Reaction score
Website
www.dndservices.co.uk
Help, I am the proud new owner of a 1999 A4 Avant SE with 2.4 V6 Petrol and auto box with around 86,000 miles and one exceptionally carefull previous owner with full Audi service history.

That should give a rough indication of vehicle condition - its very good.

Everything is ultra quiet and ultra smooth on the car, with the exception that if I pull away fairly hard with the steering fully locked to the right, I get a sort of "Clicking" noise from what appears to be the area around the middle of the car, sounds like rear of the engine / back of the dash area. The noise is somewhat similar to the noise you may get of the very early stages of a CV joint failure, but its not actually knocking as such, sounds more like a rubbing / rapid clicking noise - reminds me of the playing cards that rubbed on the spokes of my bike when i was a kid - but it does not sound like its coming from the side of the car by the wheels, sounds more "centralised" and as if its behind the dash somewhere. Pulling away straight or to the left is fine. Pulling away gently to the right is also fine.

I`m guessing that it could be some form of inboard CV joint? Are there such joints inboard? Does this sound likely? If so, what is the best way to check it out, as there seems little space down the side of the V6 to actually see anything. I`ve not yet had the car long enough to be over familiar with the noises and locations of bits yet, and also struggling to find a service manual that covers my engine option.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

theres a joint at either end of both driveshafts. Its usually quite rare for inner joints to fail though, as they're not really operating at any extreme angles compared with the outers...

First step would be to check the gaiters, as if one has split then thats likely caused joint failure.

easiest to check the inner joints from underneath, although if you jack up a corner and remove the wheel you should just about have enough access to look at both joints on that side.

I have a strange noise whenever i pull away, it sits in the passenger seat and makes a sort of nagging noise. ****** annoying, i thought german build quality was supposed to stop this sort of thing?