Strange Noise - Sounds like BOV

godwine

Reaction score
Here is my little problem. My 2000 1.8T is stock (North American model, 150hp), no mods at all. When I was driving home earlier, I notice a strange noise, its not the standard whining noise from the turbo, but instead, it sounded more like exhaust noise.. when I release the gas, I heard a light hissing noise, something similar to BOV noise... is it coming from my stock DV? Should I be worry about it?

I'm only guessing(hearing an eclipse GST) but when you rev up the engine and let go of the throttle, it makes like a "woooo-cheee" noise, besides that i don't know

there will be a slight noise as the air is being channeled back under pressure into the air box, which on some models can be heard more than normal. The turbo can also whistle a little bit, which it might be.

I'd listen to it with the hood up and a friend revving the engine. It may very well be a bad DV or a leaking hose.

I never heard this when I first got the car 4 years ago (as new).. so I am sure soemthing either worn out or is broken.. thanks, I will get someone to rev it up with me listening inside the hood.. if its a bad DV, how much would it cost to get it replaced ?:(

if you wanted an after market one which last a lot longer they are about 90GBP for a gooden. not sure how much the oem ones are new but i have seen them on ebay going for about 30GBP

[ QUOTE ]
godwine said:
I never heard this when I first got the car 4 years ago (as new).. so I am sure soemthing either worn out or is broken.. thanks, I will get someone to rev it up with me listening inside the hood.. if its a bad DV, how much would it cost to get it replaced ?:(

[/ QUOTE ]

DV's:
Bailey = Probably the most popular, serviceable, $$$
Forge = Large (some reported fitment issues), serviceable, $$
Forge Race = Larger than others, adjustable, serviceable, $$$
Hyperboost = Cosmetic package, not serviceable, $$
Hyperboost Adjustable = New, cosmetic package, may not fit S4, adjustable preload, not serviceable, $$$
Hyperboost HX = Newest, very cosmetic package, new internals, not serviceable, $$$
OE Bosch 710N = Basic upgrade, popular with budget-minded modders, not serviceable, $
OE Bosch Sport 110 = MTM upgrade, same as 710N with "better" internals, $$

$ = under $50 USD
$$ = $50 - $150 USD
$$$ = Over $150 USD

<font color="red">Don't forget to check your TBB and the small hoses coming off the DV's, too. </font>

Its a real strange noise, and I seems to be burning gas more than usual.. made an appointment to have it looked at next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, ontop of this problem, all my locks failed too... the damn connection to the lock pump was gone.. they got me a new pump.. so anyways,apparently this problem was due to a bad BOV.. wow.. I didn't know that the stock A4 comes with BOV.. news to me, but the dealer's advisor ensure that it is a BOV i have, not a DV... can someone PLEASE tell me if its a BOV or DV in the stock 1.8T? Maybe I should start studying the Audi A4 again from beginning?