1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange noise on cold start

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by rog190quattro, Dec 17, 2009.

1. rog190quattro

rog190quattro Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Hi everyone my 1.8t 190 has developed a strange noise when starting from cold ,it only lasts for a few seconds not even long enough to get any idea what it is.Only noticed it after it has come back from garage for coolant leak[corroded screw] but also coincides with it getting colder,my wife took it back to garage they said they could'nt see anything a miss and some cars do this , she thinks he said it was something to do with cold air and the air pump ?any ideas anyone .Hope you all have a good christmas
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. MDA

MDA sploorer

[Dec 18, 2009]
    i think your right with the air pump idea
    i know some older vectras had them
    and im pretty sure my 2002 1.8t does the same
    shouldnt worry about it
  4. linners

linners Member

[Dec 18, 2009]
    Air pump possibly = SAI (secondary air injection) system?

I'm not techy but my understanding is that it is a pump which recircs the air (exhaust?) until the cat (not the feline type) has reached operating temp - helps with emissions

It is an "upgrade" to remove this and is cheaper than replacing it when it goes faulty
  5. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Dec 18, 2009]
    Ok you have an annoying noise on start up which could mean alot of things, What noise does it make?? I know you said it aint long enough to know what it is but you know what kind of sound it is yeah...

Soooo, is it like a Rattle sound? Chain rattle sound?? Tapping sound????
    2-3seconds on start up, correct???

I get a noise on cold start up too, sounds like a dry Head for few seconds but thats normal on these A4's, both mine did it aswell as many others on here.
    Does it sound like something is rubbing against plastic? ( if you catch my Drift)....
  6. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet VCDS Map User

[Dec 18, 2009]
    j7, i think thats how mine started, look how that ended, got it back now bud, all done running sweet as a nut.
  7. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Dec 19, 2009]
    1Wheel - Thats good news mate, glad its all sorted now.Xmas would have been a miserable one eh. Was I close with the Price??