1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange noise, help???

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Trigger, May 12, 2009.

1. Trigger

Trigger New Member

[May 12, 2009]
    I have a 2003 A4 1.8T Convertible just coming up to 80,000 miles, and have an intermittent noise coming from what I can only explain as the external exhaust type area. It only happens when you turn the car over, or switch the engine off. I can best describe it as a if something is stuck and is released, like a moan type noise lasting a second at most.

Anyone have any ideas what the hell this could be? It hasn’t been picked up in any inspection and it was there when I bought the car about a year ago.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

[May 13, 2009]
    fuel pump, or evap purge system. Mine does it every time I switch off - its doing it constantly but you dont hear it till you stop the engine, and it goes rrrrrrglerglergle for a few seconds after the engine stops then theres a soft klunk then silence. Annoying but harmless if its the evap unit, assuming its coming from the front of the car, if its from the rear it could be the fuel pump motor bearings.