1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange noise - anybody got a clue !?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by audi_girl, Feb 21, 2003.

1. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

When I lift off the accelerator I get this weird noise.

It's hard to describe! It's a cross between a popping sort of noise, and the sort of noise a fan might make if it is catching something on the way round (but quickly).

Only noticed it recently... any ideas ??
  2. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

ive experinced this noise as well - sounds like its coming from behind the clocks ????????
  3. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Jo you're right it is hard to describe. I can't make any sense of what you have just said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

AL
  4. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

Maybe it's the fan catching on something, hence the noise like the fan is catching on something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  5. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

Not the dump valve is it?
  6. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

Ha ha thanks guys !!!

John said it might be the DV making normal noises (changed back to Bosch for various reasons) but I'm not sure - it's not a whooshing noise but it does tie in with the DV - i.e. it's when you lift off the accelerator while accelerating...

I think the noise from behind the clocks (do you mean behind the air con etc.?) is the air conditioning pump - try turning it off and see if it still makes the noise?
  7. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

If the DV chatters I think it could cause the sort of noise you describe, if you can think about the WRC cars the dump valves, which are much more vocal than a DV (and slightly different function), they chatter and wheeze when dumping the clutch....which sounds like you could have a softer version of it.....maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  8. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

Maybe! It does sound like that asthatic wheezy rattle! Not cool !!!!
  9. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

If the noise is the chatter-type noise (like the rally cars) - your DV is buggered. I had this on my old A3 1.8T, DV was eventually replaced by the dealer, and no more chatter-noise afterwards.

Jo, didn't you say your Bosch valve is a new one? Put your other valve back on, and see if the car still makes the noise, if it doesn't, you'll know its the Bosch valve thats f'd. Go on Jo, you can do it, its only a 10-min job to change the DV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AL