1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange noise after coilovers :-s

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by luke1987, May 3, 2010.

1. luke1987

luke1987 Air Ride is for Ballers!!

well i had my coilovers fitted last week and there is a strange knocking sound coming from the back end when i go over small bumps in the road, its not loud but annoying and it shouldnt be there. i thought it might have been because it was slammed and the shocks were bottoming out causing the spring to rattle but ive adjusted up and the noise is still there. another thing i think it may be is that the rear adjusters that sit on top of the spring is basically metal on metal with no rubber buffer behind it?? just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing and has any answers for me???

luke
  2. 10blazin

10blazin HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

may be a dimp stuck in the spring , may wanna check

[​IMG]
  3. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

What coilovers are they Luke?

Might be the bushes on the ARB being strained as you're a lot lower now
  4. luke1987

V-maxx mate, its coming from the back tho don, there isn't arb's at the back is there? Do urs have a rubber behind the adjusters on the back springs??
  5. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Of course there's an ARB at the back!

Don't know much about V-Maxx

My Weitec setup at the rear is a separate spring and shock absorber, no rubber stuff
  6. Cyrix

Cyrix Member

There is an ARB at the rear yes, but i doubt thats the fault, if the cars been lowered the arb should have been slackened off and tightend back up with the car on all four wheels.

The springs are in so tightly I would be very suprised if they were moving enough to knock.

An educated guess would be strut top mount or a worn suspension bush has been highlighted now the car has been dropped.

Maybe even one of the dampers is knackered, V-maxx stuff isn't the greatest of quality.
  7. luke1987

well apparently v-maxx are similar to weitech, i dunno tho, the set up is the same as urs smudge. its a knocking sound on the on the chasis, its goin in my mates garage next week so he'll sort it.