1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange knock on lift-off since Evoms fitted (video)

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ADi Nuff Valves, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

As per the title, i've just fitted an Evoms v-flow to my S3 today and now i'm noticing a single knock noise when I lift off the throttle and the revs drop. It seems to occur roughly as the revs drop below 1000 rpm. You should be able to hear it in this video:

Audi S3 8P lift-off knock - YouTube

Anybody got a clue as to what might be causing that?
  2. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member

Hmm... not a clue really. Sounds like something closing as the revs drop, maybe cam related? Afraid you'll need someone more mechanical to get their head under bonnet, unless it's something common and someone else already knows what it is.
  3. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

Thanks. Yeah I really can't put my finger on it. Wonder if it's always been there and the new intake has just highlighted it.
  4. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member

Might just be something you'd only notice with the bonnet open so, like you say, you just hadn't heard it before.
  5. DeckedS3

DeckedS3 Active Member

Did you install the heat sheild?
    If so, that may be hitting the back of the engine bay.... Cant watch the vid as i'm at work.
  6. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

No I don't have the heat shield.
  7. DeckedS3

DeckedS3 Active Member

Just has a listen and it doesn't sound like anything mine does..... Weird!
  8. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

Hmmm, this has got me quite worried. Tempted to take the Evoms off and put the stock filter back on to see if I can still hear it. I just can't see why the Evoms would cause anything like that unless it was physically knocking against something. I can't see it moving much but it's difficult to have much of a look under the bonnet when you need to blip the throttle as well.
  9. Denty

Denty Member

ive got this on my s3 and it had me a bit worried untill i figured it out.... try pinching the [h=1]Diverter Valve to Intake Return Hose[/h] with some mole grips or the like and then blip ur engine.... i bet the knocking sound wont be there anymore... solution - fit an forge uprated silicon pipe to prevent deformation caused by the extra airflow that ur new intake causes......

i thank ya
  10. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

Really? Wouldn't you see the pipe deforming if it was? Is this the correct pipe i've highlighted below?

pipe.jpg

The noise seemed to be coming from around the cone filter, maybe below it. Anyway, i've put the stock filter back on for now to check the noise isn't still there and it didn't appear to be.

Didn't realise Forge did a replacement pipe. Might be worth a try i guess. Got any links?
  11. Denty

Denty Member

12. Acheron

Acheron Member

Mine makes the EXACT same sound and I've not noticed any issues relating to it.
  13. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

I've got the new rev D diverter. Thanks for the link. £50 for some pipe seems a tad steep!

Cheers Acheron. I've taken the kit off for the time being but I might have to put it back on if I know it won't cause any issues.