1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange incident

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Leetaylor, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Leetaylor

Leetaylor Member

[Jul 19, 2006]
    Had a strange incident tonight on the way home from work!

Driving along at quite a pace, when there was an almighty BANG, and all i saw was what resembled a black flash fly up in front of the car, then go back down smacking the front bumper again and dissapear behind me.

Pulled over into a lay-by on the Woodhead Pass to look what damage had been done, initial thoughts were that a waggon had flicked something out from a tyre, maybe a bit of mudflap!

Turns out it was the plate/flap that covers the towing eye, somehow it had come loose, was obviously flapping around in the wind, then snapped, thus causing a deep scratch/gouge on the bumper on its travels!!!! 'Bummer'

It was hard to tell at first if it had hit anywhere else due to the collection of road kill on the bumper!!

Washed them off later though, and luckily no more damage ' Phew'

So recovered the plate anyway after dodging a few waggons, however, it had been run over a few times, so will have to order a new'n!

Presume these is a lead in with the order of these due to paint colours etc????

So, check your flaps are secure!
    Cheers

Lee
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Jul 20, 2006]
    Wait for Audi to tell you you need a whole new bumper :)
  4. Leetaylor

Leetaylor Member

[Jul 20, 2006]
    Got a price from Audi, £52 inc VAT, nearly fell of my chair, told them it was the little flap, 2.5" X 2.0" approx, not the whole bumper - Robbing B**terds

Rang around and got one for £5.45 Inc Vat
  5. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Jul 20, 2006]
    £52 - phewwww! Presumably that inc painting too?

Was the £5.45 flap from another dealer and is it painted?
  6. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Jul 20, 2006]
    Spray the new one yourself, considerabley cheaper than getting the dealer to do it!

As it is only a small part it'll be nice and easy to do. When you get the spray can sit them in hot water prior to using and it'll make the paint flow in a more uniform manner.

J.
  7. Leetaylor

Leetaylor Member

[Jul 20, 2006]
    Yes that did include paint, but spoke to a mate of mine today who used to paint cars for a living, says if i give him the paint ref for the car he can get the exact spray, about a tenner, and he'll do it too, so £17 is better than £50 odd!
  8. Leetaylor

Leetaylor Member

[Jul 20, 2006]

That was from a company i found on the net, much cheaper than the main dealer, i'll post the details when i get them.