1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange idle issue

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Dubstep, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Dubstep

Dubstep Member

[Jul 22, 2011]
    She seems to be idling at around 950rpm once warmed up, but if i go for a drive it seems to idle at 1000rpm. I don't think i have any vacuum leaks. do i need to do a TB reset on vagcom?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jul 22, 2011]
    Yes TB reset and go from there...
  4. S3MMA

S3MMA Member

[Aug 14, 2011]
    Mine has started doing this since my battery went, idles at 1000 until warm then drops to 750, so I need to do anything?
  5. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

[Aug 14, 2011]
    Id say your ok emma, mine idles at 1200 until warm then drops to about 800. Its common, Dubstep has a different issue I think
  6. S3MMA

S3MMA Member

[Aug 14, 2011]
    Ahh ok, thanks
  7. Dubstep

Dubstep Member

[Aug 14, 2011]
    A TB reset didnt do any good :ermm: . Tho i may have found the cause. a fair few weeks ago as i was changing my thermostat broke my dipstick, its super brittle! and as i was gluing it back together i was a bit rough and broke it again! GRRRR! so i found some hose the same ID size and wedge it back together and back onto the stubby end still attached to where the DS goes. I dont think its given me much of a seal tho and ive been told that a bad seal on the dipstick or oil filler cap can cause a high idle. Is this true?
  8. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

[Aug 14, 2011]
    I made bits of both my tube and the dipstick itself. ive a new tube on now and the dipstick is taped up for the time being. It never caused a high idle though at any point. I suppose its not flagging any codes?
  9. Dubstep

Dubstep Member

[Aug 14, 2011]
    nope, no code's. ive triple checked all hoses, ive changed all 4 coil packs to my spare set and still high idle. Ill be putting in a new set of Iridium plugs soon just to be sure its not an ignition problem
  10. metricspaces

metricspaces Member

[Aug 14, 2011]
    I don't think that is normal when starting up in normal air temperature (i.e. not freezing winters morning). You may have an air leak in the system.

If you do a search you'll see people with air leaks have had a similar problem on start up when the rev needle is hunting until it eventually settles around the normal 900 revs.

For the problems that air leaks can cause a turbo car it would be money well spent to get the system checked for leaks every now and again.