1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange handling issue/rear end knock

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Chriscooke, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

[Mar 4, 2013]
    Over the past couple of weeks my QTS has developed a slight handling issue. When I go around a roundabout or a hardish right hand turn the rear of the car feels vague and a little unsteady. The rear has also developed a knock which sounds similar to the exhaust hitting the chassis although on closer inspection this doesn't seem to be the case.

I got the car up on ramps yesterday and can't see anything obvious other than a slight exhaust blow and the rear diff which seems to of sprayed a little oil (will post pics in a bit). I checked the springs which seemed fine as I feared one had snapped.

I know bushes can be an issue but this seems to of happened pretty suddenly which I wouldn't expect from worn bushes??

Anything I should check?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

[Mar 4, 2013]
    Pics of rear diff. Could this be my issue or another thing to woory about?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Mar 4, 2013]
    Looks like a "normal" leaky rear diff to me. Probably taken quite sometime for that oil to leak out, plus I'd think if your diff was at fault you'd hear a noise all of the time rather than just a knock going round a corner.

Can only state the obvious and start with checking all bolts to see if they are tightened properly. Then check everything over including wishbone bushes, track rods, arb, wheel bearings, etc etc.
  5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 4, 2013]
    The bushes do tend to wear progressively, but when they go the arse end is quite bad at following the front. I ended up replacing the lot to cure mine. I believe that Allermange (sp) do a rear bush repair kit, and it's a night and day difference assuming the tie rods and ARB are OK
  6. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

[Mar 5, 2013]
    Cheers for the tips guys. will see if I can get the car on the ramps at my mates work and have a decent check.