1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange fault

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Matt, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Sep 25, 2008]
    A good few months ago now the speedo needle bulb died. So with it not even being a year old I got it into Audi and they had to change the whole dash pod which I dont mind as Im not paying.

So that solved the bulb problem but since then when going to start the car the message "PRESS CLUTCH PEDAL TO START ENGINE" doesn't appear. I mentioned this to the garage so they had a look and thought it was a fault with the dash pod and ordered another one.

It went in today to get the new pod fitted and its still not sorted it so they are keeping the car overnight and have sent off a report to Audi to see if they know what to do. Dont get how it worked fine before but not now! Strange!

At least its a stupid little fault I guess compared to what some people have! Got an A4 Avant S-line as courtesy car. Only a TDI 140 though.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. samuelt

samuelt Member

[Sep 25, 2008]
    hi Matt

I have had my 2006/56 A3 2.0TDI 170 for only a few weeks but i have never ahd the message "PRESS CLUTCH PEDAL TO START ENGINE" or had to press the clutch while starting.

Toby
  4. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Sep 25, 2008]
    Is this something activated in Vag-Com???

Mine does it, thought all of them did, nanny state protecting us from starting the car!!!
  5. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Sep 25, 2008]
    It was introduced later on than 56 plate. Mine is a 57 plate. Thanks anyway.

Jamie - they all have this feature after a certain production date. Mine has just stopped saying it since the new dash pod was fitted.
  6. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Sep 25, 2008]
    Try starting the car without the clutch pressed and it will appear then!!

My 07 S3 which I dont have now displayed it when the ignition was turned on but my new facelift S3 does not show it but does when you try to start the engine without the clutch pressed.
  7. Fast,not furious

Fast,not furious Dealing with an OCD

[Sep 26, 2008]
    ....ermm - mine's a Dec 06 build,they don't come much earlier than that,and mine's got it.
  8. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Sep 26, 2008]
    thought it only came on S3 models - not the "standard" A3s. The earliest S3 build would be around aug\sept 06 from what I understand.
  9. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Sep 26, 2008]
    All I know is that it used to do it and it doesn't anymore lol. Audi garage says it should do it aswell which is why they are investigating it.

S3s maybe had it from the start but it was introduced later on with the normal A3s.

I'm missing the extra oomph from my 170 engine so hope I get it back today
  10. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Sep 26, 2008]
    I've got the A4 for the weekend. They are in contact with Audi Germany about it trying to sort it out so want to keep the car.
  11. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Sep 26, 2008]
    Have you tried the above I said?

Seems you have a updated cluster compared to the "old" on so the new one is not meant to do it!
  12. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Sep 26, 2008]
    Yeah I've done that before and it wouldn't start but still didn't bring the message up.

Like you say its got to be something to do with the new cluster/pod/whatever you want to call it being a newer version than the original one. If the new one is meant to do as you say above then I would happy with that but at the moment it displays no message at all no matter what I/they do!