Strange Droaning / Humming Noise

AdamB8

Reaction score
Evening,

Been using the car all day, was picking the Mrs up from the Trafford and was doing around 80 mph on the way back and the Mrs commented on how the car sounded like we were in a jetliner in mid air as it was making a slight humming. As usual I just ignored her however when I got off the motorway the car was making an horrendous droaning / humming noise, its coming from the front and is most prevalent around 2,000 - 3,000 rpm.

I've just been back out in it whilst the engines cold. The noise is still there and appears past 10mph onwards... I haven't been able to go much past 30 because of the snow but the noise increases with the speed. I have revved the engine whilst stationary and the noise isn't there, so I'm thinking its to do with the running gear.. tyres, bearing or gearbox? Does anyone have any ideas?

Bit of an update - Took it out this morning. Noise is still there and getting louder. Sounds like something rubbing/dry underneath. Definitely coming from the front nearside. Noise is speed related and does not occur when the clutch is depressed or when coasting in neutral. I have posted a video on youtube of the noise, not sure how clear it is as I recorded it on my phone.

Going to take it to a garage on Monday.. How much should I expect to pay for a wheel bearing replacement?

Wheel bearings make a noise all the time and go at around 60,000 miles.

If it is a wheel bearing, change both sides cos the other side will go soon.

Oh dear.. Not what I wanted to hear just after Christmas.. Only had the car a month.. Its only got around 46k on the clock as well

Is it safe to drive? How long can I use it for before it needs replacing?

Oh dear.. Not what I wanted to hear just after Christmas.. Only had the car a month.. Its only got around 46k on the clock as well

Is it safe to drive? How long can I use it for before it needs replacing?
You need to do it straight away. Don't drive it about if it's making a strange noise.
Can't you take it back to where you bought it for them to sort?

It's weird that it goes quiet while coasting.

Sorry I does make the noise regardless of whether the clutch is depressed or in neutral.. My mistake!

Bought privately as well..

In that case it is almost certainly a front wheel bearing. Change the pair.
Don't drive it about too much, it wont collapse yet, but not really worth taking the risk.
The bearings come complete fitted in a carrier flange and with a new allen screw from Audi at about £110 a side.

Try TPS for the parts as they may be cheaper if you are going to do them yourself.

scrub that as from the video it looks like your not in the UK :)

Been to the garage. Front passenger bearing is shot. Front drivers is on its way out. All in £416.00 :ohmy:

Gutted.. But they'll have it ready for tomorrow and I need it for work the day after.. Not much I can do really!

Hmmmn. £200 labour. 4 hour job if you take your time.

Reactions: Kalashnikov
He broke it down as £105.00 for each bearing and £45.00 an hour labour plus 20% VAT.

£210.00 parts
+
£135.00 labour (Three hours)
=
£345.00 Total
+
£70 VAT (At 20%) :mad:
=
£415.00 (Roughly!).. he did initially want two hours labour for each side, but reduced to to three hours for both.

From the Volkswagen Centre in St Helens. I'll let you know how good the job is tomorrow when I get it back.

Reactions: angiek and Kalashnikov
Hi,
Can I ask whether having the wheel bearings got rid of the droning noise or not? I am experiencing a similar noise (getting more ‘angry-sounding’ by the journey) - thought it might be the rear diff but this has made me wonder.