Strange Characteristic?

StephenBogan

Reaction score
I have noticed that when accelerating hard, specaily on the motorway, if I come of the throttle ever so slightly the car seems to pull much harder?? When doing this I've been keeping an eye on what boost the car is running and it abviosly drops but at the same time seems to be producing more power?

I can't figure it out!? Whats happening?? Is it the mixture?

Any advice would be much apprecaited! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
You mean you floor it, back off and let the engine die down, then immediately floor it again and it pulls well?

It is partly down the mixture, you accelerate hard continuosuly (ie keep it down 3rd-5th) the mixture is kept reasonably close to stoichiometric.

Now when you let off the fuel is cut on the over run. If you plant it again additional fuel is added to pik the car up (similar to the accelerator pump on a carb).

The main reason is the turbine shaft is still spinning at high rpm, and gives you much beter response than usual.

Does that make sense, is it even what you meant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite...

iF your foot is to the floor in 5th for example, when you lift off the throttle slowly, the car accelerates a little beforeslowing down... With the Milltek on, its just made it 'real' as when you lift off the trottle, the exhaust gets louder before getting quiet...

Rich

I know the feeling your saying too xdam. My 1.8 sometimes does it too. I thought it was soley the MAF to blame but having changed it it is still ever so slightly noticable. Its as if it is getting bogged down. I feel It seems to be worse on warmer days. . . .

Rich, you've got it in one. My exhaust gets louder too? All this technology and they can't even get the engine to give you full power when you want it, you have to persuade it!!

This needs further investigation! Ess_three......??

PS excursion, thats not what I ment but this has also happened - you pull out to overtake, bring in the boost, change your mind, off the juice, change your mind, plant the foot down again and theres nowt there! Another mistery??

Most modern cars do this and have read before that is something to do with the lambda cycle - for a moment the mixture out of sync with the oxygen sensor (lambda probe) re-calculating it.